Strange votes

Alfouine

Do you really know what happened when you vote Abstain ?

I take an example, you have 4 officers in a category A, B, C and D

A decide to demote B

A vote Yea

B can not vote

C vote Abstain

D vote Abstain

In a logical world you have 33% Yea vote and 66% Abstain vote, and B is not demoted

In a Waymarking world, you have 100% Yea vote and B is demoted

Abstain vote does not count, not even for a vote :sad:

I think that "Abstain" doesn't count at all. It's like casting a white ballot in a National Council election. If the result has to be either "Yes" or "No", what sense would it make to have 33% "Yeas" and 66% "Abstain"? Think about it that way: ONE "Abstain" is 50% "Yes" and 50% "No". So, we have 1 Yes, two 1/2 Yes and two 1/2 No. So, we end up with 66% Yes and 33% No. :-)

More interesting would be: If I'm an officer and don't know whether I should decline or approve a waymark, I might call for a vote and vote "Abstain" for my own. But if the other officers don't vote or vote "Abstain", it will be 0% "Yes" and 0% "No". So, will it be approved then?

1 hour ago, PISA-caching said:

More interesting would be: If I'm an officer and don't know whether I should decline or approve a waymark, I might call for a vote and vote "Abstain" for my own. But if the other officers don't vote or vote "Abstain", it will be 0% "Yes" and 0% "No". So, will it be approved then?

I had this case once in one of the first waymarks I had to review. I was not really happy with the waymarks description even if it did fulfill the criteria, so I called for a vote and abstained. The other officers decided not to vote and after the voting period ended the waymark was approved automatically.

• Helpful 1