How do I create a list of my unpublished caches?

G0ldNugget

I am putting together a series of caches and I've nearly got them done. Caches are hidden and cache pages created. But some of the coords feel sketchy to me and I want to double check them before I publish. I can't figure a way to access my unpublished cache pages from the geocaching app and it seems they won't let me add them to a list. My phone does not show my unpublished caches anywhere and I want to navigate to them as a player would.

How do I access my unpublished caches in the field or add them to a list?

• Funny 1
1 minute ago, G0ldNugget said:

I am putting together a series of caches and I've nearly got them done. Caches are hidden and cache pages created. But some of the coords feel sketchy to me and I want to double check them before I publish. I can't figure a way to access my unpublished cache pages from the geocaching app and it seems they won't let me add them to a list. My phone does not show my unpublished caches anywhere and I want to navigate to them as a player would.

How do I access my unpublished caches in the field or add them to a list?

You have to use the website.

You can add them as a waypoint to ANY other cache, and use that to navigate/ check the coordinates.

• Helpful 1
3 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

You have to use the website.

You can add them as a waypoint to ANY other cache, and use that to navigate/ check the coordinates.

Ugh. I was hoping I was just missing some obvious answer. Adding them as a Waypoint to a different cache seems like a clumsy solution to an easy problem.

Thanks for your help, Max & 99.

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, G0ldNugget said:

Ugh. I was hoping I was just missing some obvious answer. Adding them as a Waypoint to a different cache seems like a clumsy solution to an easy problem.

Thanks for your help, Max & 99.

It takes about 30 seconds to enter a waypoint. Just fyi. I don't think the app was intended to handle unpublished caches since they can only be created on the website. I often just navigate to any cache and use the compass function to see the coordinates of where I currently am to check a cache I've hidden.

If you only use one Geocaching app, your best option is to add a waypoint to an existing cache and navigate to it. You can print your unpublished cache page, assuming you have a PC and printer,  so have the text with you.

This combo is pretty good simulation of what seekers will be doing.

Intermittently, the site permits cache owners to download a GPX of their unpublished. From JimJinks post above, I assume that's true now. 

In GSAK you can create a darn good duplicate of your unpublished cache, generating a gpx. I nearly always create pages in GSAK, after using the CSP to get a GC Code. 

Either of these choices requires a phone app that will accept a gpx file, and nav to it.   I offer no suggestions, as I'd use a handheld for this. I assume something exists.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

You can also view the unpublished cache in the mobile web browser. For easy data you can still edit the personal note. But you can Edit the listing in the browser. And if you want to use gps for testing, try the above suggestions (in-app set waypoints to another cache, or use another gps app that can provide coordinates)