Can I hide a cache here?

ChaosFr0g

I want to hide a cache inside my rock climbing gym, that would be at the top of a rock wall with an manual belay. So you would be required to be belayed and be help up while filling out the log, or to climb up on auto belay, grab the cache, get down, and fill out the cache before climbing back up and replacing it. 

I wanted to know if I would be allowed to hide a cache there (with the owner of the gym's permission, and if its breaking any rules)

• Funny 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ChaosFr0g said:

I want to hide a cache inside my rock climbing gym, that would be at the top of a rock wall with an manual belay. So you would be required to be belayed and be help up while filling out the log, or to climb up on auto belay, grab the cache, get down, and fill out the cache before climbing back up and replacing it. 

I wanted to know if I would be allowed to hide a cache there (with the owner of the gym's permission, and if its breaking any rules)

Sounds like this would likely violate the commercial guideline.  I've done caches that are on rock walls in the outdoors where you need climbing equipment, but it's not at a business so you're on your own to coordinate with somebody that has the property equipment.

Generally caches are not published indoors as they likely wouldn't have adequate GPS use, and in this case would likely require paying money to use the gym.  Even if the gym owner allowed people to climb free to find the cache, being at a business would almost surely prevent it from being published.

• Upvote 1

• No contact required
    • Caches cannot require geocachers to contact the cache owner or anyone else.
22 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:
  • No contact required
    • Caches cannot require geocachers to contact the cache owner or anyone else.

And....  From the geocaching rules:

No commercial content

Cache pages perceived as commercial will not be published. Commercial content includes any of the following characteristics

• Overtones of advertising, marketing, or promotion
  • Suggests or requires the finder do any of the following
    • Go inside a business
    • Interact with employees
    • Purchase a product or service
  • Name, links, or logos of the following
    • Businesses
    • Commercial products
    • Competing games or cache listing services
  • Links or logos of agencies and organizations (including nonprofit organizations), unless needed for permission
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1

Can I just nod to someone and walk in, then access the cache and leave ?  If not, it won't be allowed. 

We have a tree limb "rope" hide, and it's up to the finders if they bring help.  It's also up to them how they want to access it.  Some use ladders...

2 hours ago, ChaosFr0g said:

...before climbing back up and replacing it.

When designing caches, remember to factor in human laziness. Many people will happily return something to its initial location, but there are enough people who will simply drop the key at the cache and wander off that we need to account for them. This is one of the things that needs to be considered on gadget caches - how to make it easy to reset for the next finder.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
36 minutes ago, Unit473L said:

When designing caches, remember to factor in human laziness. Many people will happily return something to its initial location, but there are enough people who will simply drop the key at the cache and wander off that we need to account for them.

This is one of the things that needs to be considered on gadget caches - how to make it easy to reset for the next finder.

The few times going on a rope hide with someone else that climbed, one of us would come down with the log, and the other would put it back. 

Otherwise, I simply sign it up there.   :)

I worked on hiding a similar cache on a university climbing wall I worked at. I backed off the plan, thinking it breached the commercial rules. It was free to students/staff and accessible to public but for a fee and would be bordering on too commercial.
Other than that, just like other indoor caches in libraries and such, you need to describe where to go once inside because of unreliable GPS (where the climbing wall is, which rope /route to climb, how high).
Returnability is an issue. I had a magnet built in to a custom climbing hold that also had a bison tube imbedded within. Instead of being bolted to the top of a bare patch of wall, the magnet held it in place and a cord that went from the hold, through the t-nut in the wall, and down to the ground inside the wall. That cord could be used for to easily replace the hold if needed (by climbing wall staff as a last resort if the geocacher cannot get back to hiding spot).

11 minutes ago, CheekyBrit said:

Other than that, just like other indoor caches in libraries and such, you need to describe where to go once inside because of unreliable GPS

• Get accurate GPS coordinates.
    • GPS usage is an essential element of hiding and seeking caches.
    • The cache owner must visit the geocache location to get accurate coordinates with a GPS-enabled device.
    • For at least part of the search, the cache must require finders to navigate with a GPS-enabled device to specific coordinates necessary to finding the cache. See this article for examples.
  • Helpful 1
2 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:
  • Get accurate GPS coordinates.
    • GPS usage is an essential element of hiding and seeking caches.
    • The cache owner must visit the geocache location to get accurate coordinates with a GPS-enabled device.
    • For at least part of the search, the cache must require finders to navigate with a GPS-enabled device to specific coordinates necessary to finding the cache. See this article for examples.

So true. traditionals inside don't really work because of this. My indoor caches are all multi caches with GPS used in earlier stages. GPS coordinates would lead to a pretty accurate spot in the building but earlier stages in the multi cache use GPS far better.