Decent map support

searchjaunt

Hi,

I was wondering when one would finally add OSM support. The current maps are far from adequate and very useless for ALC "off road".
OSM on- or (preferrable) offline support would solve a lot of issues.
Another burden is the fixed position of the maps. It would be more useful that the map rotates towards the direction one is navigating. 
Centering and zooming to the destination would be also an asset.

Cheers,

Eddy

• Upvote 2

Yes, I'll add my support to that. Last year when I was planning my second AL, I considered an area in a nearby national park, but while the map in the geocaching app shows all the walking tracks, it was just a big empty space on the AL app's map.

MapComparisonSpionKop.thumb.jpg.29f0bfcc2d8861fd0a4321aa82339193.jpg

While the track is easy enough to follow for an experienced hiker, it's pretty rugged country and I had visions of someone unfamiliar with the area taking a wrong turn and having only a blank map to guide them to safety. So I abandoned that idea and settled on something along the seaside where if you make a wrong turn you'll just get wet feet.

Oh and yes, while we're discussing maps, can we PLEASE have a scale on the maps?

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 2

I thoroughly agree with the above two posts.  The map is fine in urban areas but useless in parks.  Why can't the Adventure Lab app use the same map interface as the Geocaching app?  After all, they are both developed by the same organization aren't they?  

Edited by Athena0803
grammar
  • Helpful 1
3 hours ago, Athena0803 said:

After all, they are both developed by the same organization aren't they?  

AFAIK they are 2 completely differents teams thats why there are so many differences between Geocaching and AL

But yeah don't know why the AL map offer so few information on it. Not even a scale.

Edited by Lynx Humble
On 4/21/2021 at 6:00 AM, Lynx Humble said:

AFAIK they are 2 completely differents teams thats why there are so many differences between Geocaching and AL

But yeah don't know why the AL map offer so few information on it. Not even a scale.

There is no scale in the geocaching app either. Only in the web interface.

9 minutes ago, p0cy said:

There is no scale in the geocaching app either. Only in the web interface.

The map display on my GPSr does have a scale, though, which I find constantly useful, and this is probably another reason why I prefer it to the app for caching. There's no choice with ALs, though, and in an unfamiliar area with few roads and other features, it can be hard to tell from its map whether the waypoints are a short walk apart, a long day's hiking or need to be driven.