Mobile App v laptop

Steve1262

Hi everyone.

Please excuse me if I'm missing something here but could someone advise a newbie why I see more geocaches on the phone app than I do on the laptop map ?

I live in Bridlington and there seems to be quite a few in and around the town and a few at Flamborough Head that show on the phone app but not on my laptop.

Any ideas ?

Regards, Steve.

The official app restricts a basic member to ‘easier’ caches - Trads with lower D/T ratings and Events.

The others are shown on the App but greyed-out.  The website does not have this restriction.

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=102&pgid=764

Edit: Just reread your post...  I see (1) you’re a premium member and (2) you’re seeing MORE on the app.  In which case no idea ... unless you’re logged in on the laptop to a different account?

Edited by IceColdUK
Note to self: read posts carefully before replying.
1 hour ago, Steve1262 said:

Hi everyone.

Please excuse me if I'm missing something here but could someone advise a newbie why I see more geocaches on the phone app than I do on the laptop map ?

I live in Bridlington and there seems to be quite a few in and around the town and a few at Flamborough Head that show on the phone app but not on my laptop.

Any ideas ?

Regards, Steve.

Do you have filters set?  In the website's Geocaching map, there are cache filters in the menu on the left of the screen.  You can filter out by your activity and by cache type. See if some of those are selected, that could cause the effect you mention.

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by kunarion
44 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

... unless you’re logged in on the laptop to a different account?

It may be that the OP needs to log out and then log in, on the web site, see if it is showing you as "Premium" in there.  Yes, with the same account.  :cute:

It would also be good to know when Premium Membership started.  I'm seeing a lot of posts where someone upgraded through The App a few minutes prior.  Unfortunately, the "PM" features don't seem to appear immediately across the Apps and Web.  Usually, someone asks at about the 2 hour point, then evaporates.  So I've guessed that "2 hours" is the minimum wait.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

Just an update on my original topic, the reason I wasn't seeing as many cache's on my laptop compared to my phone was due to the map needed refreshing after each zoom in/out using the "search area" button. A misunderstanding on my part however the button wasn't always appearing straight away and I think that was due to my laptop having started a scheduled virus scan and it was occupying the hard drive while it should have been refreshing pages.

8 minutes ago, Steve1262 said:

Just an update on my original topic, the reason I wasn't seeing as many cache's on my laptop compared to my phone was due to the map needed refreshing after each zoom in/out using the "search area" button. A misunderstanding on my part however the button wasn't always appearing straight away and I think that was due to my laptop having started a scheduled virus scan and it was occupying the hard drive while it should have been refreshing pages.

I'd expect that the issue would affect a whole lot of functions on the laptop (not just Geocaching Maps).  But it's cool that you got it working! :)

1 minute ago, kunarion said:

I'd expect that the issue would affect a whole lot of functions on the laptop (not just Geocaching Maps).  But it's cool that you got it working! :)

I think it was just my impatience with my hard drive being occupied, it seemed the map and therefore the search again button were the last thing on the page to update.

6 minutes ago, Keystone said:

When you open the map from the menu link ("View Map"), it will always default to the "Search" map, which consumes fewer resources.  If you want to move around and see more caches without having to refresh the map, click on the "Browse" button at the top right of the map.

Brilliant..... Thanks for that.