No in app notifications for new messages

isaac7437

I haven't been receiving notifications from the Geocaching app when I get a new message sent to me though the message center. I used to receive notifications, but since the recent updates to the app, these notifications seem to have disappeared. On the Geocaching website, the yellow dot does show when I get a new message, but I use the app more than the website. I do get the notification emails saying that I got a new message. However, these are sometimes delayed. It's also a bit annoying that I get email notifications for my own message that I have sent.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

I get notifications of messages, but it's frustrating having them go away once they're read. Open, read, close, still a red dot. Open, see it's not read, read it, close. Still a dot. Kill the app, reload the app, read messages, not shown as unread, but close and the red dot is there. Kill app, reload the app, refresh messages, close app, maybe this time the red dot is gone.

I think there's just a general bug with the reporting of unread messages (or lack of them).

• Upvote 2

Is this still an issue? In the last few days I've had a couple of people message me requiring help at my caches, to which I've replied reasonably promptly, but they don't seem to have been aware of my replies. I also haven't gotten any phone app notifications of those incoming messages, just the emails and the yellow dot on the webpage's envelope.

6 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Is this still an issue? In the last few days I've had a couple of people message me requiring help at my caches, to which I've replied reasonably promptly, but they don't seem to have been aware of my replies. I also haven't gotten any phone app notifications of those incoming messages, just the emails and the yellow dot on the webpage's envelope.

Same here.

12 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

they don't seem to have been aware of my replies.

That has been happening this week and last week. There have been a lot of new cachers joining in my area and some of them are getting stuck and cannot find my cache so they send me a message for hints, so I give them some. However, some of my messages have just been saying something like "Sending...." and they take about 10 minutes to send. I also seem to be unable to send images too and they just keep saying "Sending...", but they don't eventually send. So I have to end up sending them a Google Photos link to view the images. The images are not super high resolution though, and my Wi-Fi is fine.

It probably has to do with Android battery optimization. This has happened to me with a number of apps, including the Geocaching app. The way to fix it is to go to Settings > Battery > Battery optimization > Geocaching > Don't optimize (though that path may vary slightly depending on your OEM and version of Android, that's in Android 11 on my OnePlus 7 Pro).

• Upvote 1
On 2/22/2021 at 4:34 AM, isaac7437 said:
On 2/21/2021 at 4:04 PM, Max and 99 said:

they don't seem to have been aware of my replies.

It was actually me who said "they don't seem to have been aware of my replies". I did get another message from said newbie about a week later, well two actually saying much the same thing about ten minutes apart, but it's still not clear whether they saw either my original replies or my reply to those two.

47 minutes ago, peyton_lamb said:

It probably has to do with Android battery optimization. This has happened to me with a number of apps, including the Geocaching app. The way to fix it is to go to Settings > Battery > Battery optimization > Geocaching > Don't optimize (though that path may vary slightly depending on your OEM and version of Android, that's in Android 11 on my OnePlus 7 Pro).

I've started suspecting something like that, as I did get a notification when a message came while my phone was awake, but messages that arrive while the phone is asleep don't appear to generate any notifications even when the phone later wakes up. I'm running Android 10 on a Samsung Galaxy S9 and couldn't find any equivalent settings to tell it not to optimise individual apps, although there's a global battery optimisation setting. That doesn't help much though when the problem's with the other person's phone.

Edited by barefootjeff