Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
CosmicBreadBox

How do I keep bugs and water out?

I’m wanting to hide my first cache (regular), but make sure I do a good job of keeping it clean. Any suggestions on how to keep bugs and water out of the cache?

I’ve seen some people cut open tennis balls and leave them in caches, does that do anything?

I don’t know about cutting tennis balls.

A great way to keep water and debris out is by having a container that has a balance of being weather-tight yet easy for finders to open and then close properly.  The hiding spot must be free of bugs and not wet and muddy, or it will tend to get wet inside when opened.  

For my very small hides, I sometimes spray a little fast-drying Sawyers Spray (Permethrin) in and around a camo cover, if bugs nest there.  For larger caches, it’s impractical to try to prevent pests outdoors.  Have a plan to check on your cache on a schedule.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

By finding many containers of various sizes and types (which you appear to have done) you should be getting an idea of what works and what doesn't. The more you find the better conception of what works and what doesn't you will have.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Have a plan to check on your cache on a schedule.

This....

and - pests - you just need an outer container that closes securely, should work fine - for water (which is a bigger problem here), I try and use a secondary inner container when I can, rather than a ziplock, or even a ziplock inside an inner container for the logbook. I make custom logbooks that fit neatly inside small (thick walled) ziplocks, so the ziplock just drops into the container without folding/stuffing. These *never* get wet. 

One of ours is a wooden 'birdhouse' - it has an inner lock'n'lock type container, with a ziplocked lobgook within - it has obtained its own cache guardian in the wooden box of course....

spider.jpg

I typically use containers that are easy to seal so that people aren't frustrated trying to close the cache up properly and leave it exposed. One of my first hides was a waterproof bag from the GC store, and it worked well up until a cacher was unable to close it completely due to arthritis. It got soaked so I swapped it out for a simple film canister with an o-ring and put the log in a tiny ziploc. Locking tupperware works well a lot of the time, especially if it has a seal. Some people put those silica gel packs in the containers but they don't always work if the container isn't sealed. Keep the cacher in mind when creating a hide.

Edited by Hackles

21 hours ago, CosmicBreadBox said:

I’m wanting to hide my first cache (regular), but make sure I do a good job of keeping it clean. Any suggestions on how to keep bugs and water out of the cache?

I’ve seen some people cut open tennis balls and leave them in caches, does that do anything?

We've cut-open tennis balls for turning hammers into mallets.  Many times there's already moisture inside.

- Maybe the cut-open tennis ball was meant to have a bison tube inside ?   We used to see those (missing a lot).

I feel that after a little over a  hundred finds you have some idea what works.  :)

Containers with a seal is the key to keeping bigger bugs out and water resistant, but even ammo cans leak if someone doesn't close it properly.

A lot of cachers wear rain gear, and even mention how hard it rained, yet few think to bring an umbrella for the cache they opened...

We've seen those pesky, tiny red ants inside sealed lock n locks and tupperware. 

Gotta teach people to stop putting food, candles, and other smells-good to critters stuff inside.  Good luck with that.  :D