Snakes and GeoCaching

digilexic

Okay, I am now trying to tie my other hobby, with my newest hobby, GeoCaching.

I live in Charlotte, NC. I got my GPSr in order to be able to log exactly where I found snakes when out field colloecting (my other hobby)

I have read some posts from people who avoid snakes when GeoCaching...Is there anyone else out there interested in actually finding and/or catching them?

-FairePlaye (Chynnakat's not too into snakes)

I don't mind seeing them while I'm out hunting, especially if they're a good distance from me. As far as catching them goes though, I'm quite happy to take a "you leave me alone, and I'll leave you alone" attitude with the snakes.

If you don't mind telling though, what do you catch snakes for? Research? Milking?

----

When in doubt, poke it with a stick.

Well I have a huge fascination with snakes. Depending on the type of snake and the location it could be a number of reasons why I would actually capture a specimen:

1) It is not indiginous to the region, or constitutes an extension of its regular range.

2) It is a color that normally is not seen in nature, and could contribute the characteristics to the hobby through breeding (and if it is a commercially important species)

3) It is venomous species in a populated area that should be removed for both the safety of the snake and the people.

4) Of ten times I just capture specimens to photograph and release, sometimes to keep as personal pets

5) Injured snakes in need of rehabilitation.

Hope this answers your question!

Personaly I love finding all reptiles and amphibians while geocaching from cottonmouths to corn snakes I love them all! I have lived in south florida all my life and have been collecting and breeding reptiles and amphibians for 20 years. I get as excited to find a diamondback or a gopher tortoise as I do finding a cache. So whats in your personal collection?

We encountered a snake protection the cache. It was only a rat,garden, cane type snake. But we filmed it. One of those thing that you would have to be there to understand. ron was looking for him as he had moved out of the cache area enough for us to get to it. There it was, at about 5 feet from him. We continued to film. We didn't bother him & he didn't bother us.

rocker51 icon_wink.gif

quote:
So whats in your personal collection?

Sad to say right now there is nothing in my collection. I just moved here from Virginia and have yet to get established enough to restart my collection. While in Virginia, I had in my care:

6 Worm Snakes

4 Ringneck Snakes

5 Dekays Snakes (Brown Snakes)

2 Rough Green Snakes

1 Black Racer

2 Black Ratsnakes

12 Mediteranean Geckos

6 Anoles

7 Gray Treefrogs (breeding group)

2 Smooth Earth Snakes

6 Eastern Fence Lizards

2 Eastern Glass Lizards

8 Five Lined Skinks

1 Toad

1 Newt

2 Eastern Box Turtles

1 Painted Turtle

approx 1500 Cave Crickets(or Camel crickets) that I cultured for lizard food.

I had one whole room of the house as a reptile room...the door was kept closed so the furry pets couldn't get in there and wreak havok!

I'll never understand why people pride themselves on large reptile collections. How big are the tupperware containers you keep them? Most are shoe-box sized. Pretty much sucks if you live in one. I don't buy the argument of keeping them for breeding. Who do you sell to? More people who like to keep reptiles in tupperware. I don't believe that captive breeding programs really do much to stop illegal trade, either.

quote:
Originally posted by Blue Man:

I'll never understand why people pride themselves on large reptile collections. How big are the tupperware containers you keep them? Most are shoe-box sized. Pretty much sucks if you live in one. I don't buy the argument of keeping them for breeding. Who do you sell to? More people who like to keep reptiles in tupperware. I don't believe that captive breeding programs really do much to stop illegal trade, either.

Blueman,

I understand your point tupperware container can't be much fun to live in thats partialy one of the reasons why I stoped breeding reptiles and the up keep was killing me and there is a huge retail business of selling captive born reptiles check out www.kingsnake.com and wether you beleive it or not captive breeding does help releave pressure on local collecting and importing but sadly it will never stop it completely. And let me say that I am against collecting reptiles in the feild when I was younger I took home everything I found now I am happy with my pictures and log books. And I am against stupid people who keep LARGE reptiles to show off to there friends. I have 3 reptiles in my collection as of present a dumerils boa a everglades ratsnake and a ridgeback musk turtle all were born in captivity and all are in very large cage not tupperware and I have had them for many years.

quote:

Most of the reptiles I owned either were captured in residential areas where they would of otherwise been killed by a fearful public OR they were removed from construction sites and habitats that were being developed.

Believe it or not, there is still ALOT to be learned about our native species. Amateur Herpetologists have been invaluable in this respect, as they often can report on habits and habitat very accurately.

I do not keep reptiles in plastic tubs. I use aquariums (more like terrariums) that are more than large enough to accomodate and allow for the free movement of the species I keep.(this is why it takes an entire room and not a bookcase)

Unless the animal is sick or injured, most are released within 6 months of capture. (I haven't had long term captives in years). This affords me the time to watch their behaviors and increase my knowledge of a species. A description in a book like "can reach 4 feet, feeds on rodents, lives in holes in pinewood forests" tells NOTHING of the behavior of an animal.

I think it is great that you have your own opinion, thing is evrybody else ALSO has their own opinion. Thats why it is called an opinion, its neither right or wrong, except to the person who disagrees.

I hope I have answered in a way that expresses my opinion without putting down yours.