Help please, from someone with Premium

Darwin473

Hello everyone, if somebody has a few minutes to spare, I'd like to know the dates these caches were placed in Darwin:

1. GC3KX1M - "The old Darwin"
  2. GC3M4TP - "Darwin's Heart"
  3. GC488BT - "The Old Vic"
  4. GC4YWXQ - "Stokes Hill Wharf Revisited"

These four are all Premium caches - I don't need any other information about them, just the dates they were placed. Thank you in advance.

1 minute ago, Unit473L said:

@HHL - perfect, thank you!

Cool, I didn't realise that! That'll come in handy.

@W.Graham - On my search, it's still displaying the default imperial. How did you change yours to show metric?

That's in the whole-site settings - the arrow at the top right next to your name and then preferences at the bottom. You can change the date format as well.

Just now, barefootjeff said:

Except of course the Adventure Lab Builder page which ignores those settings and just assumes everyone is American.

Yes shame things like dates are not by default international; the way it's done in most of the world, rather than how it is done in one country.

Another reason not to make the AL I have been given. Although my main reason for not publishing the AL is that I like ALs to have a physical caches and I don't want another physical cache to have to care for; plus a one stage AL would be boring.

24 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

Yes shame things like dates are not by default international; the way it's done in most of the world, rather than how it is done in one country.

Another reason not to make the AL I have been given. Although my main reason for not publishing the AL is that I like ALs to have a physical caches and I don't want another physical cache to have to care for; plus a one stage AL would be boring.

It depends what's at that one location. I'd been hoping to use this spot (Spion Kop) in Brisbane Water National Park as the primary goal in my second AL but had to abandon it when I realised the map in the AL app doesn't show any of the tracks.

DSC_0472a.jpg.4f208c1f936bd5aa37b6954ec13f614e.jpg

My intention had been for that to be the final location, with the other locations providing a build-up to it at the park entrance, some rock engravings, a waterfall and probably something else of interest on the approach to the finale.

• Upvote 1

I hadn't looked at Great Aussie Icon Hunt #8 - I've looked at the page just now. Give me a few minutes while I look under the table for my jaw...

That's a huge drive, and a whole lot more effort than I'm willing to make - unless I was already going to make that drive for unrelated reasons.

• Published September 2015
  • FTF October 2015
  • Two finds in Jan 2017, which were also the last successful finds.

4,285km (2,662 miles) is a bit further than I'm willing to drive for a cache, even in Australia! :D 

26 minutes ago, Unit473L said:

I hadn't looked at Great Aussie Icon Hunt #8 - I've looked at the page just now. Give me a few minutes while I look under the table for my jaw...

That's a huge drive, and a whole lot more effort than I'm willing to make - unless I was already going to make that drive for unrelated reasons.

• Published September 2015
  • FTF October 2015
  • Two finds in Jan 2017, which were also the last successful finds.

4,285km (2,662 miles) is a bit further than I'm willing to drive for a cache, even in Australia! :D 

I had planned to finish that multicache about a month ago and had a trip planned, but my travel companion became unwell.

I have done the equivalent cache going in the opposite direction, and I'm claiming FTF for it, as I was the first person to actually drive the trip and visit the WPs. The person who found the cache first didn't drive it. They used Google road view and made phone calls. Was I disappointed with this after actually driving the whole way and actually visiting each WP. I'll let you guess.

I went to a convention in Darwin and decided to drive there. I did the Canberra to Darwin cache on the way. Plus lots of other caches. And trig points on another site.

24 minutes ago, Blue Square Thing said:

Out of interest, how long does that drive take?

It's about 4,000kms one way, so if someone drove 500kms a day (some people drive more), it would take 8 days. Say a week, because it's easy to drive long distances in that part of the country, and once you cross the border into the Northern Territory, the speed limit outside of urban areas is 130kph. One stretch, there is no speed limit; only "Drive to the conditions". I call that blast off, although I didn't go over 130kph, except once, when I was passing a road train I nudged over 150kph (true 150; that was off my car GPS). I slowed back to 130 after I had passed. I was caching all the way and also logging trigs, and wasn't in a hurry, so I took about three weeks to reach Darwin. After Darwin I drove onto Kununurra in Western Australia; another 850kms. After which I turned for home; about another 4,000km drive.

In case you are unfamiliar with 'road train', here are a couple.

Road train entering Threeways, NT.jpg

Dunmarra Roadhouse 7.jpg

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Helpful 1
14 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

One stretch, there is no speed limit; only "Drive to the conditions".

Correction, there used to be a "no limit" stretch. It was shut down and the state-wide (territory-wide?) standard 130km/h limit was brought back in in again on all NT highways. I got to drive through it once a few years ago, but I was driving a 20-yeard old truck along with a few others in old trucks, and we were limited to 90km/h so we didn't get to enjoy it. We did see a bunch of people overtake us, they seemed to be enjoying the limit-free stretch.

20 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

They used Google road view and made phone calls.

I want to say they cheated, but as long as they signed the physical log at the end and the CO put "check out Street View" on the cache description then they didn't technically break any rules. It would certainly upset me if someone else claimed the FTF that way when I was going for it. I second your notion, you should get the FTF for actually visiting the WP's!

2 hours ago, Unit473L said:

I want to say they cheated, but as long as they signed the physical log at the end and the CO put "check out Street View" on the cache description then they didn't technically break any rules. It would certainly upset me if someone else claimed the FTF that way when I was going for it. I second your notion, you should get the FTF for actually visiting the WP's!

Yeah, once a cache is published it's really up to the finders how they get from what's on the cache page to having their signature in the logbook. One of my recent hides (GC8V8WA) was meant to be a kayak paddle across Woy Woy Bay to what appears to be an old stone jetty, but the first two finders got out there at low tide with gum boots on (presumably, as there are lots of oyster shells) and just went straight for the cache along the edge of the estuary. I don't mind, but the logs from those who did the paddle make more interesting reading.

39 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Yeah, once a cache is published it's really up to the finders how they get from what's on the cache page to having their signature in the logbook. One of my recent hides (GC8V8WA) was meant to be a kayak paddle across Woy Woy Bay to what appears to be an old stone jetty, but the first two finders got out there at low tide with gum boots on (presumably, as there are lots of oyster shells) and just went straight for the cache along the edge of the estuary. I don't mind, but the logs from those who did the paddle make more interesting reading.

Reminds me of several caches I found recently with several other cachers. They weren't FTFs though. Normally these caches are on islands in the middle of a dam, but I went there for a birthday party and stared out in a amazement at what was meant to be all water with islands. There was a dry land bridge connecting from the mainland to all the islands. I returned very soon after with caching friends and we walked to the islands and found all the caches. Everyone couldn't believe their luck. Since then it has been raining and no doubt that dry land bridge is now under water again. If fact while there I talked to a ranger and he said water was pouring in from the other end of the lake, so even then it was filling.

The photographs show what the dam should look like, and the land-bridge we found...and took advantage of. (Not the same island, but you get the idea.)

Googong 1.jpg

Googong_land bridge.jpg