Android Adventure Lab app maps suck

sktqch

We love doing adventure labs but we are tired of having to go onto Geo-oh or some other app to be able to find the trails on OSM maps, that we can't find on the standard map shown in the Adventure Lab map.  Is there any way of downloading and using an OSM map in the Android Lab app?

sktqch

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, sktqch said:

We love doing adventure labs but we are tired of having to go onto Geo-oh or some other app to be able to find the trails on OSM maps, that we can't find on the standard map shown in the Adventure Lab map.  Is there any way of downloading and using an OSM map in the Android Lab app?

sktqch

I've never had this problem and two Adventure Labs I've done required hikes/trails.  

An interesting question. 

18 minutes ago, sktqch said:

sktqch

Ha ha, I was about to post something similar, as yesterday I was out scouting a possible route for an Adventure only to discover that the track I wanted to use, which shows on the geocaching app, doesn't appear on the Adventure app map.

MapComparison.jpg.27b046ced385ec6c42b0f50b1d4ca362.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, HHL said:

They use the plain Google map. And actually without a scale which renders the "map" being quite useless as well.

I so agree with this. The map is useless. And the missing scale makes things even worse. You can't even guess how much travel or effort an adventure lab is going to be from the map.

I've now decided to abandon the AL I was planning along the trail I showed earlier in this thread. With nothing visible on the AL app's map, there's too much risk of people losing the trail on the ground and getting themselves lost in some pretty wild country. A pity, as there's a pretty amazing rock formation and view at what was to be my final location at the end of the trail:

MapComparisonSpionKop.thumb.jpg.29f0bfcc2d8861fd0a4321aa82339193.jpg

Instead I'm now looking at doing something along the waterfront from Ettalong Beach to the headland at the southern end of Umina Beach. At least the map shows where the land ends and the water starts so those attempting it probably won't drown:

EttalongToUminaPoint.jpg.4d1d0764e8b348215804acedb270d925.jpg

There's enough points of interest with signage for questions, as well as good phone coverage, and the scenery's not too bad I suppose:

BeachView.jpg.ee8a01b812cb5551420d2450208340df.jpg

The other one in the national park might yet evolve into an Earthcache or perhaps a virtual if there's another round of rewards, or even maybe a future AL if they fix the map.

I wonder if you have any data signal out near the end of the AL you abandoned. No amount of better maps is likely to help with locations needing good trail maps to reach. Still, I have gotten signal in unexpectedly remote places so who knows. Adding maps at least a good as what they offer for the Geocachinger app would be good.

3 hours ago, rragan said:

I wonder if you have any data signal out near the end of the AL you abandoned. No amount of better maps is likely to help with locations needing good trail maps to reach. Still, I have gotten signal in unexpectedly remote places so who knows. Adding maps at least a good as what they offer for the Geocachinger app would be good.

I assume this is directed at me and the one I abandoned on the ridgeline above Woy Woy Bay. Phone coverage along there is good as there's a large urban area across the water to the south. My concern was the lack of any detail on the map as the trail is a bit indistinct, particularly where it crosses the many rock shelves along there, and it would be easy to take a wrong turn and end up in some pretty inhospitable country.

46 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

I assume this is directed at me and the one I abandoned on the ridgeline above Woy Woy Bay. Phone coverage along there is good as there's a large urban area across the water to the south. My concern was the lack of any detail on the map as the trail is a bit indistinct, particularly where it crosses the many rock shelves along there, and it would be easy to take a wrong turn and end up in some pretty inhospitable country.

Allowing extra waypoints would help here too but you are right, a better map for trails would help.