[IDEA] Vote on logs

noomwen

I'd appreciate the possibility to vote on single log entries (helpful / not helpful) and – as a consequence – the possibility to filter them in the listing view. 

I could imagine something like in youtube where you have the number of likes and the number of dislikes accumulated. Then you could filter for logs >0, >=0, top 10%, most favorited log … 

In my opinion there are a number of reasons for this: 

• Some finders add valuable info to the cache that might be helpful for future finders but might get lost in the crowd - unless the owner takes it over to the listing description, of course 
  • Filtering for the mot upvoted logs might help to find the most helpful player hints (or at least the best log stories) 
  • On the other hand there are players that log in an unhelpful way (e.g. a Found after a series of DNFs, but their text says "I only found the place where the box should have been but I'm logging anyway" - preferably on remote caches) 
  • Hopefully the possibility that their log might be voted encourages geocachers to write logs more thoroughly raising the overall log quality 

What do you think about it?

Regards

:: noomwen

• Funny 2

Thankfully, this isn't youtube.  Read logs if you might be interested.   :)

There's a number of threads on what "most helpful" means, and many think it'd be used by people "helping" others with spoilers...

Like on4bam says, this site has already said they will not allow something that is negative to another member, so unhelpful is out too.

I don't see how this will help.  Too often changes to caches - new container, moved co-ords, and such - make some older logs irrelevant to current conditions.  So how would a highly voted log from five years ago about the micro hide be helpful to the newer small hide now in place?  It's fine for places like YouTube where a video never changes, but caches hides do change.  I had one in a tree, after it was cut down it was in the stump, now in a post next to where the stump was (now likely gone with road construction).  And voting for an entertaining log doesn't mean it's helpful for finding the cache.

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, noomwen said:

I'd appreciate the possibility to vote on single log entries (helpful / not helpful) and – as a consequence – the possibility to filter them in the listing view. 

I could imagine something like in youtube where you have the number of likes and the number of dislikes accumulated. Then you could filter for logs >0, >=0, top 10%, most favorited log … 

In my opinion there are a number of reasons for this: 

• Some finders add valuable info to the cache that might be helpful for future finders but might get lost in the crowd - unless the owner takes it over to the listing description, of course 
  • Filtering for the mot upvoted logs might help to find the most helpful player hints (or at least the best log stories) 
  • On the other hand there are players that log in an unhelpful way (e.g. a Found after a series of DNFs, but their text says "I only found the place where the box should have been but I'm logging anyway" - preferably on remote caches) 
  • Hopefully the possibility that their log might be voted encourages geocachers to write logs more thoroughly raising the overall log quality 

What do you think about it?

Regards

:: noomwen

I think it's a terrible idea. Which I've stated in all the other forum discussions about it. Sorry. 

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1