deleting tests from adventure labs, and QR codes

MamaHoof

I have a question or two about deleting tests from the adventure labs and about QR codes, and I'm not a computer whiz so if someone could explain in simple language I'd really appreciate it! I have created an adventure and tested it on my (android) phone yesterday and it seems to have worked well, I just want to be sure that I have correctly understood the adventure lab builder guide about deleting tests before I make the adventure live. In the Test the Adventure slide (slide 6) of the AL builder guide, under step 5, am I correct that the images both relate to the tests on the AL builder (not the app)?  Why is the qr code circled in red in the second image? From what I could figure out from reading the text for deleting test on the web, I need to go back into the test screen and select 'delete test', so why is 'delete test' not circled in red in the second image? Is there something I need to do to the qr code? And then for deleting the test on the app, I just need to swipe my adventure left, is that correct (seems too easy!)? Is there any way of checking that I've deleted the tests correctly?

And some more questions, for my understanding of how the QR codes work (and I've only just scanned my first QR code yesterday so please excuse my ignorance!), in the AL builder, on the first screen (where the main description of the AL is and where you set the adventure on and off), does the QR code stay the same on that page from when you first create the page, or does it update whenever you edit something anywhere in your AL? What would happen if you pushed "delete" on this screen, would all your information (photos, coordinates, descriptions etc disappear)? If I scan the QR code on that screen, currently it just takes me to a description of the AL, does this change when I switch the adventure on? 

Thanks for any help!

On 8/27/2020 at 11:41 PM, MamaHoof said:

for my understanding of how the QR codes work [...] does the QR code stay the same on that page from when you first create the page, or does it update whenever you edit something anywhere in your AL?

Re: The QR code does not change unless the smart link changes.  At this moment I do not see how you could adjust the smart link once set, an issue when you want to change topic or location.

On 8/27/2020 at 11:41 PM, MamaHoof said:

What would happen if you pushed "delete" on this screen, would all your information (photos, coordinates, descriptions etc disappear)?

I too would like to know what happens if you click "delete" on the source adventure (not the test version), does it reset the adventure, adding the credit back to your account, or does it completely erase the adventure completely, wasting your credit?  How does one archive an adventure, just by turning it off?

Best answered by the developer.

I would love to hear what's in the pipes because the app is fairly useless for a CO.  Once up, an adventure cannot be managed, so currently you would build an adventure and don't look back.  Edits, yes, but management (remove fake logs) no.  Adventure Labs are currently easier to set up but less functional Wherigo's or a lesser form of Waymarking.  Adventure Labs are also lesser Virtual Caches, but without credit, that is to say +1 yes, but it does not count toward favor points.  Imho they should have ironed out the kinks before handing out thousands of these.  Adventure Labs have been in the works for almost a decade, but I am still not sure what their purpose or goal is.

• Funny 1

Personally I think they are making the same mistake with Adventures as they did with now grandfathered virtual types, and we know how that worked out.

Adventure labs took a decade to get where they are today!  And there are other experiments on which they have yet to pull the trigger too; AR, votes on logs, ... very telling, and sadly, as it stands, the game has lost more than it gained over the years.  What we really could use is a new cache type... my vote goes toward a History Cache (with a time limited option to convert existing caches), but I'm sure there are other ideas out there.  Likewise, with webcams slowly dying, it might be an idea to seek out caches that use a camera, and allow COs the option to have these converted into an official Webcam Cache to boost the numbers at least for the time being.  My appologies, I digress.

Long story short, I have a hard time to believe this is the best they can do with Adventure Labs, and I fail to see what it adds to the game in its current form.

• Surprised 1
1 hour ago, Barnyard Dawg said:

Imho they should have ironed out the kinks before handing out thousands of these.  Adventure Labs have been in the works for almost a decade, but I am still not sure what their purpose or goal is.

It's not just your opinion but the opinion of the entire Geocaching community wondering why Groundspeak didn't ironed the kinks when they was fewer AL out there. Now any decision they will make when they remove them from ''experimental phase'' will be a big mess.