Going Steady

So, I'm ready to take the next step...with Geocaching that is!

I'm at 85 finds, so def still a noob, but getting more and more obsessed. Listening to podcasts, watching vlogs, and checking out the newest caches are becoming a daily occurence. It's just hard to get out there every day with a 3 year old and a muggle-ish husband.  

I'd like to gain more experience though and hopefully get a FTF. What would suggestions be to really up my game and start getting more finds? 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, CacheleyMariePS said:

What would suggestions be to really up my game and start getting more finds? 

Rather than focusing on finding more caches, I suggest upping your game by attempting caches that are different from the ones you've done so far. Try a multi-cache, or a mystery/puzzle cache. Attend an event.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
4 hours ago, MNTA said:

Make it fun for your 3 year old and don't over do it. Pick little parks that when done go play on the playground. After a few caches my kids are done they don't mind one or two sometimes. lol

Agree.... my kids were 2 and 5 when we started caching.... the 5 year old is now nearly 11, and loves it.... the 2 year old is nearly 8, and.... doesn't love it that much!

12 hours ago, CacheleyMariePS said:

I'd like to gain more experience though and hopefully get a FTF. What would suggestions be to really up my game and start getting more finds? 

Hopefully you realize "experience" and FTF aren't a thing.  We were newbs when we made our first 100 FTFs.  :)

If you want to "up your game" though,  Notifications is a must.   And the only reason we became PM.

If you already covered geocaching 101 and the help center, the rest comes with varied cache types and D/T.

You could do a couple-hundred simple 1.5 traditionals in a line in a day.   That's not experience...

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, CacheleyMariePS said:

So, I'm ready to take the next step...with Geocaching that is!

I'm at 85 finds, so def still a noob, but getting more and more obsessed. Listening to podcasts, watching vlogs, and checking out the newest caches are becoming a daily occurence. It's just hard to get out there every day with a 3 year old and a muggle-ish husband.  

I'm really proud of you for not expecting someone to "let you have a FTF". That has been suggested/requested/ranted on in the forums before. Notifications can really help!

Many years ago there was a computer issue, and no notifications went out for a while. That made FTF even more of a challenge! It was all word of mouth after someone saw a new geocache on the map. But that rarely happens. Notifications will help if a FTF is what you want.

5 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I'm really proud of you for not expecting someone to "let you have a FTF". That has been suggested/requested/ranted on in the forums before. Notifications can really help!

Many years ago there was a computer issue, and no notifications went out for a while. That made FTF even more of a challenge! It was all word of mouth after someone saw a new geocache on the map. But that rarely happens. Notifications will help if a FTF is what you want.

When the profile was helpful, and "find newest" was there, I'd refresh that page a couple dozen times a day.  :D

9 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

Still an option, but only for Premium Members.

Sure, now... but most we know went to their profile and looked under "search options"...

That "quick searches" wasn't around then.  As a basic member we were able to head out FTF for our first thirty or so.   :)

ETA... We also regularly clicked on our state in the Regional forums.  It would have "newest" there also.

That's no longer there either...

Edited by cerberus1

I have notifications turned on, but I would have to have my email notifications on my phone turned on as well. I get probably 20-30 emails a day at minimum and well, it's irritating to me. I have considered getting a new email address just for geocache notifications.

Also, yes, I would like to start trying new caches...puzzle, multi, etc... I'll admit, I've looked at a few puzzle caches and get intimidated very quickly...I don't even know where to start.

Events...yes! But..COVID

I mostly enjoy caches you have to hike to...but access sometimes is a challenge. For example, today I made a list of caches on a local bluff that looked great, but every road I took to get there was fenced off/blocked, or I had to figure out how to cross the water treatment canal...frustrating...only got two today.

Anyways, I will certainly chalk all this up to experience and will keep trying. I love this game and it's bringing me a lot of peace in my life.  I just finally realized I should reach out to get some insight from the community!

• Upvote 1
39 minutes ago, CacheleyMariePS said:

I'll admit, I've looked at a few puzzle caches and get intimidated very quickly...I don't even know where to start.

It's good to start with some of the lower difficulty puzzles and work your way up. I'll list some good puzzle solving resources below (Credit to @niraD for putting the list together!). 

39 minutes ago, CacheleyMariePS said:

I mostly enjoy caches you have to hike to...but access sometimes is a challenge. For example, today I made a list of caches on a local bluff that looked great, but every road I took to get there was fenced off/blocked, or I had to figure out how to cross the water treatment canal...frustrating...only got two today.

Did you read the cache description, read logs, and check for waypoints? Sometimes that helps!

Have fun caching!

Edited by TmdAndGG
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 2
47 minutes ago, CacheleyMariePS said:

I have notifications turned on, but I would have to have my email notifications on my phone turned on as well. I get probably 20-30 emails a day at minimum and well, it's irritating to me. I have considered getting a new email address just for geocache notifications.

Also, yes, I would like to start trying new caches...puzzle, multi, etc... I'll admit, I've looked at a few puzzle caches and get intimidated very quickly...I don't even know where to start.

Events...yes! But..COVID

Anyways, I will certainly chalk all this up to experience and will keep trying. I love this game and it's bringing me a lot of peace in my life.  I just finally realized I should reach out to get some insight from the community!

I looked at the nearest puzzle geocache near you and I'm clueless. ?

58 minutes ago, TmdAndGG said:

It's good to start with some of the lower difficulty puzzles and work your way up. I'll list some good puzzle solving resources below (Credit to @niraD for putting the list together!). 

Did you read the cache description, read logs, and check for waypoints? Sometimes that helps!

Have fun caching!

I could probably use this.  Some puzzles I at least understand like deciphering some code.  But there are several that are just a picture.  Now, I know what steganography is but I never found anything in the photos and I seriously doubt all of them are using that so I don't know what the game is. 

Well, here's the rest of the general puzzle tips (based in part on a puzzle-solving class event presented by The Rat a while ago) that I've posted before:

Identify the theme. Check the cache title, the hint, the HTML source, the graphics (including names/URLs), any links (including URLs), whatever is at the posted coordinates, etc. If you can figure out the theme, then you should look for numbering systems that are associated with that theme (zip codes, athletes’ jersey numbers, episode numbers, product codes, etc.).

Around here, coordinates will have 15 digits, and will look like "N 35° xx.xxx W 084° xx.xxx". So when I'm solving a nearby puzzle, I look for a group of 15 things, and then I look for ways to get the digits 35xxxxx084xxxxx from them. In general, I look for ways to get the number 35 (or the digits 3 and 5) from something near the beginning of the puzzle, and the number 084 (or the digits 0, 8, and 4) from something near the middle of the puzzle. (Of course, you'll need to adjust this for the coordinates near you.)

If you ask the cache owner for a hint, then be sure to mention the approaches you have tried so far, and the results those approaches have yielded. It can also be helpful to work together with others who are trying to solve the same puzzle. Geocaching events are a good place to meet other geocachers; ask around to see if anyone else is trying to solve the same puzzle(s) as you.

For the list of resources, see TmdAndGG's post.