Problem with Coordinates of Bonus Cache

____skayfox

I just completed my first Adventure Lab.  My initial intention was to add a Bonus Mystery Cache which would use information from the Adventure Lab in a field puzzle to determine the final coordinates.

This is also my first time hiding a cache.

When I entered the virtual coordinates and final coordinates and clicked on save, the coordinates changed to a location that is about 50 miles away from my location.  I changed the cache to a Traditional Cache trying to simplify the coordinates to just the final location.  I am still experiencing the same problem.  I click on "edit" at the top of the page, enter the correct coordinates, and click on "Save".  The coordinates still change from what I entered to the same location ~50 miles away.

Needless to say, I am getting a little frustrated.  Does anybody have any ideas why this might be happening????  Thank you!

23 minutes ago, ____skayfox said:

I just completed my first Adventure Lab.  My initial intention was to add a Bonus Mystery Cache which would use information from the Adventure Lab in a field puzzle to determine the final coordinates.

This is also my first time hiding a cache.

When I entered the virtual coordinates and final coordinates and clicked on save, the coordinates changed to a location that is about 50 miles away from my location.  I changed the cache to a Traditional Cache trying to simplify the coordinates to just the final location.  I am still experiencing the same problem.  I click on "edit" at the top of the page, enter the correct coordinates, and click on "Save".  The coordinates still change from what I entered to the same location ~50 miles away.

Needless to say, I am getting a little frustrated.  Does anybody have any ideas why this might be happening????  Thank you!

I have ideas. Can you send me a private message with the coordinates?

You are most likely entering coordinates in the incorrect format.  There are several formats, depending on what app or device you are getting the coordinates from.  Geocaching and the Adventure Labs use the format referred to as Degrees, Decimal Minutes.  Often abbreviated as DDM.  Coordinates in your area would look something like N 39° 09.173 W 075° 38.951 

How did you obtain your coordinates? Which app or device?

• Helpful 2

I got my coordinates two different ways both using Google maps.  The first time I clicked and dragged the pointer to the approximate location on the map where I hid the cache.

In order to verify the coordinates were correct, I physically went to where the cache was located and took the coordinates from Google maps on my phone.

I have tried entering the coordinates in several ways including copying and pasting coordinates from an existing cache and replacing those numbers with mine.

The coordinates end up being over 50 miles off.

You probably did not take notion of the exact formatting of the coordinate, en used a degree-minutes-seconds instead of a degree-,minutes format. All those points, spaces, minutes- and seconds-symbols are there for a reason. You can not just ignore them.

So N 39.09173° / N 39° 09.173' /  N 39° 09' 17" are three different (co)ordinates.

Google maps will probably give you the coordinate in degrees-decimals (N 39.09173°) while geocaching uses degree-minutes (N 39° 09.173') so you have to convert between the two.

At some places the goecaching website will accept the degrees-decimal form and will convert them to degrees-minutes, but you have to take care to put the points and spaces in the right position.

On 8/10/2020 at 4:33 AM, ____skayfox said:

I got my coordinates two different ways both using Google maps.  The first time I clicked and dragged the pointer to the approximate location on the map where I hid the cache.

In order to verify the coordinates were correct, I physically went to where the cache was located and took the coordinates from Google maps on my phone.

I have tried entering the coordinates in several ways including copying and pasting coordinates from an existing cache and replacing those numbers with mine.

The coordinates end up being over 50 miles off.

It is preferred that you perform the exercise the other way around.  Take your phone or GPS to the cache site and get a number of readings at different times to be sure they're relatively stable (you can average them), then use Google (maps or Earth) to CONFIRM the number, not to create it.  While Google's alignment is typically very good, it's not perfect everywhere, and you can come up with bad numbers that way.

As for 50 miles, the advice above is spot on.  You're probably seeing a different notation on your phone vs. Google. 

30 minutes ago, ecanderson said:

It is preferred that you perform the exercise the other way around.  Take your phone or GPS to the cache site and get a number of readings at different times to be sure they're relatively stable (you can average them), then use Google (maps or Earth) to CONFIRM the number, not to create it.  While Google's alignment is typically very good, it's not perfect everywhere, and you can come up with bad numbers that way.

As for 50 miles, the advice above is spot on.  You're probably seeing a different notation on your phone vs. Google. 

I will give this a try.  Thank you!

On 8/10/2020 at 3:33 AM, ____skayfox said:

I got my coordinates two different ways both using Google maps.

You can type coordinates into Google maps using the N XX XX.XXX format; if using your phone, use the Geocaching.com app to determine the coordinates of your hide.  When you are at your hide site, use the app to pull up a nearby cache, choose navigate, switch to the compass screen, and it will give you your current location in the Degrees/Decimal minutes format.  Note that; walk away and come back and see if it's somewhat close.  Then go home and put the coordinates into Google maps and see if it's close to your hide location.

On 8/10/2020 at 3:42 AM, Kalkendotters said:

Google maps will probably give you the coordinate in degrees-decimals (N 39.09173°) while geocaching uses degree-minutes (N 39° 09.173') so you have to convert between the two.

I use http://boulter.com/gps/ to help with conversions between various formats; for me, the map on that site doesn't work, but I can take the coordinates under GPS (which is the format you need for geocaching!) and plug thoe into Google maps to verify, and also to grab the coordinates in google earth and convert to GPS coordinates.  

Hope you get it figured out, it can be confusing!!

19 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

This is why I was not happy when they took the conversions off the geocaching page. I used that feature quite often! 

The conversions are easy to do manually anyway, by the time I look up a converter, then type them in, I could do them with a calculator.... it's something worth learning in this game, there are a lot of puzzles around where you might be required to do some of these conversions....

21 minutes ago, lee737 said:

The conversions are easy to do manually anyway, by the time I look up a converter, then type them in, I could do them with a calculator.... it's something worth learning in this game, there are a lot of puzzles around where you might be required to do some of these conversions....

Ok