Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Max and 99

Approving your own waymark

Posted (edited)

If you don't have enough officers, and feel the need to review your own waymark, please ask for help. . I've seen it before: an officer approves his own waymark, and there's an error. It's easy to miss your own mistakes. Just don't do it. Please.

Edit: especially when you posted it the same day you approved it. You didn't give any other officer a chance! 

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1

I know this problem - but I never approve my own waymarks. 

If there are less active officers at one of my categories or if they are sleeping, I get in contact with them and ask them to approve my waymark.

• Upvote 2

Really? You're going to keep doing it? Where are the other officers in this category?

Just a quick glance I see a few self-approved in the most recent dozen. 

"There are no written guidelines that prohibit one from reviewing one's own waymarks, but it is generally regarded as poor policy, although I know some people who do it regularly. It is not so much a matter of ethics, in my view, but a matter of quality control. Why do authors hire proof readers? It is simply because we miss our own mistakes, and I don't want to miss my own mistakes in a waymark."

Above is a 2014 quote from silverquill.

1 minute ago, elyob said:

"There are no written guidelines that prohibit one from reviewing one's own waymarks, but it is generally regarded as poor policy, although I know some people who do it regularly. It is not so much a matter of ethics, in my view, but a matter of quality control. Why do authors hire proof readers? It is simply because we miss our own mistakes, and I don't want to miss my own mistakes in a waymark."

Above is a 2014 quote from silverquill.

Understood. And I personally think it shouldn't be done. Especially when there are others who can review it instead of you.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Understood. And I personally think it shouldn't be done. Especially when there are others who can review it instead of you.

I agree 100% and there's not a thing we can do about it.  

Edited by elyob
I am too angry.

10 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

<snip>

How many threads need to be shut down, before realizing who is actually playing the game?

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 2

I'm not the one approving my own waymarks, or making fake accounts FOR MY DOG and making him a reviewer in my category.

• Upvote 3