Feature Request - Moving interday order of logs

Adler 12

Hi Geocaching-HQ,

it would be great to add a tool wherer you can move forgotten logs at the end of the day in the appropriate place of your geocaching tour.
This would be nice to preserve chronological order of your cache finds and for TBs it improves their travel distance calculation.

At the moment you have to delete or migrate every log after your forgotten log to achieve a perfect chronological order. An insert/move log tool would be a great premium feature for me.
Greetings from Germany

Tobias aka Adler 12

Edited by Adler 12
  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 1

If you have an iPhone and the app Cachly you can do this by editing your logs.  This is located on the home screen of Cachly in the center of the bottom of the screen.  Here you can review and easily edit all your logs.  I use it often for typos.

If you post your find logs right away (as you find them) you will notice in Cachly when reviewing them that the date/time stamp is the actual time you found it.  All you need to do is find that errant log and change the timestamp to a time that is in between the two logs where it should be.  For example,  you found at cache at 8:00 and one at 8:30 and the time stamp on the out of place log says 15:00 because you didn't log it in order.  Change the time on the 15:00 log to 8:15 am and it will rearrange on geocaching.com to be between those 2 other logs entries. It may still appear out of place when reviewing in Cachly but online it will be correct. 

If you post all your logs via drafts via the a PC you will notice in Cachly they ALL get the same time stamp of 12:00.  (would be nice if when you post them from drafts to logs on GC.com it would keep that actual time stamp but it doesn't (but I think it does if you post your drafts directly from the official app)).  Anyway, if this is the case, you would need to rearrange all the time stamps to be in order the way you want them up to that misplaced log.  So change the first one to 08:00, the  incorrect one to 0815 and the next in line to 0830.  The rest will then remain in order by the 12:00 time stamp in the order you logged them. Again, they may not appear in correct order on the app but should update to the correct order on the webs site.   I am a bit crazy about my logs being in order so I have done this more than a few times with accurate results.  All I really care about is that they are displayed on the site in the correct order, not necessary in Cachly.  And, overtime, it really doesn't matter to me in Cachly because it takes way too long to scroll back a couple hundred cache logs.  Just pay attention to the timestamp and adjust as needed and remember, YMMV.  

Now if you don't have an iOS device or Cachly, as they say in the big leagues, I've got nothing for you.  

First of all, thank you very much for this detailed answer. I didn't know logs do have a timestamp which is only used via the API with this one app. Unfortunately, I am not in the i-world and only have some outdated devices of them. The premium price to get an iOS 10.0 device and buy this app isn't worth the effort.
It's a bit sad that this feature is hidden in the deep waters of Geocaching and is unused until today. Sounds like it should be quite simple to add a time field beside the date which is set to 12:00 as default but could be edited for the reasons I pointed out above. I wish they added this one filed instead of developing two parallel map views (one fast and the other slow and selective). ;)

Edited by Adler 12

I think it's a great idea, and not too difficult in theory because there's already a time, hidden to web users, that could be presented through the web interface if GS wanted to. But I wouldn't expect it to happen since it would either confuse the standard pages or add a special pages out of the mainstream. GS doesn't tend to do that, and I understand why, but I'd like to see it considered.

• Upvote 1

We've logged the time we accessed the cache on every log since the first container. 

Have never had one "forgotten",  with a  "best day"  a 10 cache difference from the OP.

There's a number of reasons why, but one is that we log in the order done,  and  easily notice we "missed one" to correct it at that time.

I wouldn't need to worry about events, or caches not having a log, because they'd be so few that I don't believe I'd forget them either.   :)