Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Berta Nick Zoey

62S

I'm a long time 60CSx user but a few years go I decided to migrate to a machine that has the hints, logs etc. So, I bought the 62S.   

There are things about it that I HATE, such as the way the compass has to be calibrated.  I get it right on the first try about 30% of the time.  

In the years that have passed since this machine was released,  have any of the updates allowed us to delete one cache at a time? Or must we hook up the machine to a PC and open the GPX file to delete them?

None of the Garmin units that are "mass storage" devices allow for single deletion of caches.  Loading a fresh *.gpx that excludes the ones you don't want is the only way to be rid of them.

Basecamp allows deleting caches individually from the device. I used it with an Etrex 30 and a 64st so I assume it would also do so with a 62s.

But it would make more sense to use GSAK to refresh a database, then delete or filter out the ones you don't want and re-download. 

The only reason I would like to delete caches 1 at  a time is when I am in the field and I have 'x' amount of caches to find, and as I find them I delete them like I am able to do on the 60CSx. 

But I see where that isn't possible, Oh Well, at least it was worth a shot.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Berta Nick Zoey said:

The only reason I would like to delete caches 1 at  a time is when I am in the field and I have 'x' amount of caches to find, and as I find them I delete them like I am able to do on the 60CSx. 

But I see where that isn't possible, Oh Well, at least it was worth a shot.

Thanks

Why do you need to delete them as they are found?

May not realize that once found, they go into a different bucket.  Or may find the map cluttered with finds?

Posted (edited)

I use Basecamp for all of the map, waypoint, track, and geocache management on my garmins. Awesome software, and I strongly encourage trying it as you will probably like it... and yes it will allow you to mass delete the geocaches on the GPS if that's what you want.

My take on this is that, yes, there should be a way to mass delete caches directly on the GPS, however, what I do is just leave whatever is on the GPS on the GPS, and then every so often use Basecamp to delete the old geocaches and load new ones. This will clean up all of the found caches since I filter out all 'found caches' in my pocket queries.

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000

I would recommend against using basecamp to load geocaches. It's both an unnecessary step, and it changes some of the data that gets written to the GPS. You can install GPX files directly to the GPS in the GPX folder and simply set your pocket queries to ignore found caches. Overwriting the GPX file with an updated one will remove your finds from the GPS.

• Helpful 2