GPS coordinates: is there a good app?

spookypants

There are a couple of different ways to get coordinates using a non-gps device. You can use the regular geocaching app by finding a somewhat nearby cache, going to the waypoints section, and creating a new waypoint by clicking the plus. Make sure you have location on, and copy the current location. Another way is you can use google maps if the cache is not in a forested location by clicking and holding on the spot where your cache is located (this method generally works best for LPCs and like). I'm sure there are other apps you can use too!

• Helpful 1

I've used a couple geocaching apps that have had waypoint averaging features. When I've used them, I've gotten coordinates that were virtually identical to the coordinates I've gotten with a handheld GPS receiver using waypoint averaging.

Unfortunately, they are no longer supported, and because the API they have used has changed, they no longer work. But I'm sure some of the current apps that include a waypoint averaging feature. Groundspeak's Geocaching apps (for Android and iOS) are unfortunately not among them; they're really designed only for finding geocaches, not for listing new ones.

For reference:

Android Applications

iOS Applications

• Helpful 1
On 4/5/2020 at 4:12 PM, niraD said:

I've used a couple geocaching apps that have had waypoint averaging features. When I've used them, I've gotten coordinates that were virtually identical to the coordinates I've gotten with a handheld GPS receiver using waypoint averaging.

Unfortunately, they are no longer supported, and because the API they have used has changed, they no longer work. But I'm sure some of the current apps that include a waypoint averaging feature. Groundspeak's Geocaching apps (for Android and iOS) are unfortunately not among them; they're really designed only for finding geocaches, not for listing new ones.

For reference:

Android Applications

iOS Applications

With COVID-19 impacting geocaching in so many areas, this might be a good time for Groundspeak to roll out some new features in their app or on the web site.

• Upvote 1
On 4/5/2020 at 4:00 PM, TmdAndGG said:

There are a couple of different ways to get coordinates using a non-gps device. You can use the regular geocaching app by finding a somewhat nearby cache, going to the waypoints section, and creating a new waypoint by clicking the plus. Make sure you have location on, and copy the current location. Another way is you can use google maps if the cache is not in a forested location by clicking and holding on the spot where your cache is located (this method generally works best for LPCs and like). I'm sure there are other apps you can use too!

Google Maps are notoriously inaccurate at the level we need.

Go with your regular app idea, but let your device sit for a few minutes before taking the reading. 

Come back on a few days at different times when the 'constellation' of satellites is different, and approach the spot from different directions. 

Take a reading on each visit, then 'average' them together.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Come back on a few days at different times

What if we don't want to?

We have gotten near perfect coords with google maps on a parking lot hide...

21 minutes ago, TmdAndGG said:

We have gotten near perfect coords with google maps on a parking lot hide...

There are places where the online maps and satellite imagery is very well calibrated. I've used these tools to get initial coordinates for my caches, before using GPS on-site to get accurate coordinates. In some cases, the coordinates I got using the online maps and satellite imagery were virtually identical to my GPS-based coordinates.

But I've also seen places where the online maps and satellite imagery were not very well calibrated, where the difference between accurate GPS-based coordinates and what the online tools showed could be dozens of feet. In the forums, I've seen examples where the error was hundreds of feet.

1 minute ago, niraD said:

But I've also seen places where the online maps and satellite imagery were not very well calibrated, where the difference between accurate GPS-based coordinates and what the online tools showed could be dozens of feet. In the forums, I've seen examples where the error was hundreds of feet.

Wow, good to know!

32 minutes ago, TmdAndGG said:

Wow, good to know!

Also, here's a thing to be very wary of when the imagery is obviously shot from the SIDE.

We expect maps to pretty much show us a 'straight-down' image, but consider this snip of the GC map which includes one of mine, the Puzzle on on the left:

image.thumb.png.a1fd9b86a8adf962adab7c83d7e8ee39.png

That's the "Walkway Over the Hudson"*, 212 feet above the river.  Assuming any of them were trads (they're not), it's a pretty far stretch over the railing!

Of course, if the plane had been flying directly OVER the bridge instead of a little ways south, then my BLUE-Q would be right on the railing.

As it is, it appears on the spot on the water directly UNDER the railing.

*At over a mile long by thirty feet wide, it's New York's most oddly-shaped State Park!

Edited by TeamRabbitRun
On 4/5/2020 at 1:03 PM, spookypants said:

im looking to hide my own geocache, and am wondering. Is there a good app that tells you accurate GPS coordinates of current location?

thanks-spookypants

If you have a Iphone, the way I do it is go to Maps, then hit the I in the top right corner, and hit mark location. It should give you coordinates.

• Helpful 1