Anyone who wants to help with Central Alabama get together.

Bubba Cache

Hello, haven't heard from Jeff, tried e-mailing him. Not sure if it went thru. Jeff, if you read this, please respond. I have read many e-mails and post where people have shown interest in having a get together at Oak Mountain State Park some time in late September. I think this is a great idea. I just need some help with ideas as what exactly needs to be planned for this event, EX: food, event caches, what to do there, etc... So, if you want to help,if you want to come, and/or if you have ideas, please post. I think if a few people helped, this could be a pretty big get together. It would be a great opportunity to put a face with a name. I also figure if we knew each other, it would make a better enviroment to watch out for each others caches. We can take in everyone's input and come up with a day and time. Jeff had the idea of Oak Mountain and I think it is a great spot since there are so many caches within the park.

"Freedom is never given, it is won" A. Phillip Randolph

God bless

Bubba,

We would definitely come, and would like to help organize it, although not sure how to do it!

Why not make the entire thing an event cache that we DON'T log because we would be logging the ones at the park; UNLESS we hide a cache somewhere there just for the Event itself. Maybe a multi or puzzle (something a little difficult) Can we get a one time cache approved? If not, then we could just publish it offline and hand out the cache pages. I really have NO idea about these things....

Maybe someone else has some ideas.

I will also talk to some others who have done Event Caches and respond.

Pudman

I'll help, as much as I can. I'd suggest keeping it simple regarding food -- hot dogs & burgers, folks coming bring a side or soda. somethng along those lines. Just treat it like a big potluck. What does reserving one of the pavillions involve?

The only days I can think of offhand that I CANNOT do it are Sept 27 & Oct. 4. I will be exhibiting my "wares" at craft shows those days.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

Hello Bubba,

I would also enjoy meeting more of the area cachers. The Georgia Geocachers have some good ideas for first time event caches on their website. I will try and check the forum more often to see if a date has been set. Thanks for the e-mail.

Bonsai

It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness. - Charles H. Spurgeon

(Not the second Saturday of the month, not the second Saturday of the month.)

Sometimes you can find a pavillion for free. We use county parks and such for GGA meetings. We have meetings on the second Saturday of the month and regulars can plan on that. If it is not free, we pass the hat and take up donations to pay the fee. Get a place with cover in case it rains and one that has bathrooms nearby.

If you navigate to the meeting using your GPS then you "found it". If I help find the meeting site and help post the coordinates the I log it with a note. If one of the other members found the coords and I navigate to the meeting then I count it as a find. If you hide temporary caches for the meeting then do not count them as finds. We do practice games at our meetings every now and then. If someone wants to hide a permanent cache near the site then that is OK. I have done that myself. You can even have it put on hold until a time that you want it listed as long as you put a note on the cache for that approvers.

Good luck with the meeting!

Oh, by the way, one time caches would not be approved. You can do the handout thing at the meeting.

Keep some social time in the plan. It is fun just to mingle and exchange stories. I love to hear some of the stories of caches of mine that others have found. It is cool to hear some of the war stories as well!

Ditto what Pudman and Pookie2 said on the advice mtn-man. Got some ideas, puting them together. I do agree with P & P, not many read the forums, so it may be tough letting all of the local cachers know about a get together.

God bless

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

(Not the second Saturday of the month, not the second Saturday of the month.)

Hey, I know... how about the 2nd Saturday of the month? LOL...

Seriously, has anyone considered proposing a date for this thing? We need a date before we can get a pavillion! Once again, I can't do it on Sept 27 or Oct 4.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

How does October 19th sound? Sunday afternoon around 3. I figure with football, everyone will want to watch games on Sat. and having it at 3 will give people time to go to church and they could even come by, hang out, and still make evening worship if they choose to. I have gotten quiet afew ideas that I will run by Pudman & Pookie and Joefrog. They seem to be the ones who have said they would help. I hope this first meeting will be a success and give us a chance to meet one another. Keep checking the forums for times and such. See ya.

God bless

That is just a preliminary date and time. We could start it earlier, just figured 3pm to hold the actual get together would give everyone time to get home from church and change into cache-gear. P & P,I sent you an e-mail. Let me know what you think. See ya

God bless

Now that you are getting narrowed down to specifics I would suggest putting an event cache page together. Make the date of the cache listing the date of the event. That will put it at the top of the state's cache list. You can always put wording in the description that the exact time and location are going to be determined. If it is listed on the site for a month or so you will generate some interest that way naturally.

I can give you more details if the person who is going to list the cache page wants to email me.

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

Now that you are getting narrowed down to specifics I would suggest putting an event cache page together. Make the date of the cache listing the date of the event. That will put it at the top of the state's cache list. You can always put wording in the description that the exact time and location are going to be determined. If it is listed on the site for a month or so you will generate some interest that way naturally.

I can give you more details if the person who is going to list the cache page wants to email me.

I'll give it a go -- I officially volunteer to build & update the event page as best I can!

MtnMan, I'll send you an email either shortly or in the AM!

Joel (joefrog)

OK, the ball is "rolling" on out 1st get together here in Alabama. I will e-mail all the info to Joefrog so he can put an event page up on geocaching.com. Between Joe, Pudman & Pookie2, and myself, we hope to have an enjoyable day for you guys here in central Alabama. stay tuned for more details.

So far....

Sunday October 19th at Oak Mountain State Park

God bless