~Dumb Question~

MrsMamaKat

I'm just getting back into geocaching after a five-year hiatus.  My new hubby is already hooked!  I found my old Magellan explorist gps that I bout like..five, maybe 6  years ago.  Is particular version no longer supported and outdated? Has everything switched to "only" phones or actual Garmins?  

Thanks for your help!

You will find a little of everything... the main problem with Magellan are the poor map updates, but they remain good GPS receivers. I would say that Garmin takes around 60% of the market these days. Finally there are a growing number of geocachers (mostly new) that rely on smartphones and apps. If they remain geocaching for longer... it's a whole new story. ;) 

21 minutes ago, MrsMamaKat said:

I'm just getting back into geocaching after a five-year hiatus.  My new hubby is already hooked!  I found my old Magellan explorist gps that I bout like..five, maybe 6  years ago.  Is particular version no longer supported and outdated? Has everything switched to "only" phones or actual Garmins?  

Thanks for your help!

If you work with saved "GPX" files, you may load it up with caches, individually or with Pocket Queries, or other ways mentioned around here.  If you hunt just a cache or two, type waypoints manually and go!  That might work for another 6 years. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
4 minutes ago, kunarion said:

If you work with saved "GPX" files, you may load it up with caches, individually or with Pocket Queries, or other ways mentioned around here.  If you hunt just a cache or two, type waypoints manually and go!  That might work for another 6 years. :)

I usually go geocaching with my phone, but that's how I use my eXplorist when I need better durability, battery life, and/or GPS reception than my phone provides.

3 hours ago, MrsMamaKat said:

Welcome back.    Guessing you forgot your earlier username.      :)

The hobby is growing with tech, and many are using phones now.   Most we know still use a handheld GPSr to find the container.

We're in the same boat, with long-discontinued models,  and Garmin is still king in handheld GPS.

Caching can still be done easily by entering caches manually to your GPSr, right ?  Just a small notepad for notes n hints and you're set.  ;)

I've cached that way since starting.

On 3/28/2020 at 2:44 PM, cerberus1 said:

Welcome back.    Guessing you forgot your earlier username.      :)

The hobby is growing with tech, and many are using phones now.   Most we know still use a handheld GPSr to find the container.

We're in the same boat, with long-discontinued models,  and Garmin is still king in handheld GPS.

Caching can still be done easily by entering caches manually to your GPSr, right ?  Just a small notepad for notes n hints and you're set.  ;)

I've cached that way since starting.

Haha yeah...couldn't remember it to save my life... so i just started over. :) Great idea about entering coordinates manually...i'm SO out of the loop for SO long, I forgot all about that. :)

1 hour ago, MrsMamaKat said:

Haha yeah...couldn't remember it to save my life... so i just started over. :) Great idea about entering coordinates manually...i'm SO out of the loop for SO long, I forgot all about that. :)

Exactly the same thing happened to a local. She said she couldn't remember her username (I remembered), so she started a new one. 

On 3/28/2020 at 11:06 AM, MrsMamaKat said:

Thanks for your help!

On this forum, no question is dumb! Many here are very willing help you.