Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Gamma5

LOGS - error accessing one adventure lab logs

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

I have completed 6 adventure labs, however, I am unable to access the logs for the last one I have just completed.

 

In my case, I go to: https://labs.geocaching.com/logs

Then click on any log entry for that specific lab cache:

 

https://labs.geocaching.com/Adventures/Details/c4d25b3c-3f7f-4fb5-9315-0950eda90286

or

https://labs.geocaching.com/goto/saint-jérôme

 

I have tried Firefox, Chrome and Edge, all giving me some sort of http errors, like:  'ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS', 

 

This is for the adventure lab titled: St-Jérôme et ses attraits Patrimoniaux.

Located at: 45.776733  -74.004216

 

Any idea why?

 

Thanks, Yvan

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I can read your activity log entry at that Adventure Lab.

Belle aventure, merci.

Edited by elyob

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Gamma5 said:

I was wondering why I cannot access these 2 geocaching web pages:

You cannot access the labs on the computer/browser, the labs (and activity logs) are accessed via the app on your phone.

 

Trying to access the above links on my laptop via my browser gives an error.  Accessing via my cell phone automatically opens the app.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Interesting that I can view the list of Adventure Stages on the browser, but not the actual log content.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Gamma5 said:

Thanks, but, I know what I wrote as my log entry, I was wondering why I cannot access these 2 geocaching web pages:

https://labs.geocaching.com/Adventures/Details/c4d25b3c-3f7f-4fb5-9315-0950eda90286

or

https://labs.geocaching.com/goto/saint-jérôme

 

I'm sorry to tell that CAVinoGal is partially wrong on this issue. The problem is with the Labs web server.

 

Your first link redirects to the second one. And the second one contains two international characters (é and ô) that the web server tries to deal with...

 

When /goto/saint-jérôme is requested, the web server answers with an error 301 (moved permanently) asking to redirect the request to /goto/saint-j%C3%A9r%C3%B4me (which is the UTF-8 urlencoded version of /goto/saint-jérôme). It then enters in a continuous loop of error 301 redirections, and your browser choose to stop it after too many iterations, leading to an error message.

 

If this is indeed the cause of your problem, your best option is probably to modify your adventure lab's custom access code (see bottom of page 2 of Adventure Lab Builder guide) and replace "saint-jérôme" with "saint-jerome".

 

----

 

A note to the developers: there is another glitch... First link leads with an error code 200 (no error!?!) to a lowercase version of the same URL, then it soft-redirects (error 302) to an uppercase version of /goto/Saint-J%C3%A9r%C3%B4me, which leads to a hard-redirection (error 301) to the lowercase /goto/saint-j%C3%A9r%C3%B4me and so on...

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks Tungstène for the input and this is what I suspected, the international characters are causing the issue.

 

For your suggestion to change custom access code to remove the accented characters, I cannot, this is not my lab adventure.

 

From the adventure lab builder guide:

 

Custom access code: Choose a word that represents the overall Adventure experience. This word becomes part of the unique URL and QR code that allows you to direct players to the Adventure. Then select ‘Create Adventure.’

 

Ideally, the adventure lab builder should not allow names with international characters in the first place if the web server does not support them.

 

Do you know if the developers read this forum and will be able to fix the apparent web server issue and/or the adventure lab builder issue?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Tungstène said:

I'm sorry to tell that CAVinoGal is partially wrong on this issue.

 

13 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Interesting that I can view the list of Adventure Stages on the browser, but not the actual log content.

 

OK - I'm learning!  The only way to view actual LOGS and their content onthe Adventure labs is through the app.  You CAN view the pages for the Adventure lab, and see the individual stages, but cannot view logs.  And the error due to the international characters is another issue.

Share this post


Link to post

@CAVinoGal

 

I'm so sorry! I reread my post today and I think I made a mistake while translating what I had in my mind (English is not my native language). The word "partially" is very similar to the French word "partiellement" which correct translation is "partly".

 

Anyway, I shouldn't have quoted you in any way. I'm really sorry. I hope you'll forgive my bad use of this forum.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

@Tungstène  No, you were correct, and my reply was only partly (or partially) correct.  I was answering the thread TITLE (Can't view the logs) while the initial POST stated pages; you CAN view those pages in a web browser (if you work out the issue with the special characters)  but you can't view the logs for ALC's except with the app.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1

×
×
  • Create New...