Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
VRTrooper84

Urban Caching: Tips for city Caches?

Hey Folx!

I'm hailing from Toronto, and Prince Edward County, ON Canada.

Relatively new to Geocaching.  Noticed that caches seem to come and go rather quickly in the city due to mugglers.

Country caches seem to stay around longer, due to foliage and less muggle activity.

Any good tips for URBAN cache disguises and tricks to keep caches out of hands of city muggles?

So far I've noticed MAGNETIC caches are popular for urban hides.

Also came across a cache that was a false electrical panel cover, which is genius!

Any other tips?

9 hours ago, VRTrooper84 said:

Any good tips for URBAN cache disguises and tricks to keep caches out of hands of city muggles?

Make your caches for premium members only is one tip and helped me greatly. The magnetic hide a key cache works great under utility boxes (I found a small lock-n-lock with a strong magnet glued on the bottom in New York City). Also saw a small magnetic " keep off sign" on a utility box that was a cache, the log sheet was on the other side of it. That was really cool and hard to find! 

Here is some advice for beginners that I've posted before. I know you have some experience with non-urban hides, but you might still find it useful, especially the part towards the end about ways to learn what types of hides might be out there...

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.) And it is often best to start with traditional 2.gif caches, which will be at the published coordinates. Multi-caches 3.gif or mystery/puzzle caches 8.gif or other cache types can require more work just to figure out where the container is located.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10ft). That applies both to your device, and to the cache owner’s device, so you may find the container 5-6m (16-20ft) from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate. Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden.

Where would you hide something? Do you notice anything unusual? Is anything too new, too old, too organized (e.g., UPS: an Unnatural Pile of Sticks/Stones), too symmetrical, not quite the right color or shape, etc.? Don’t look only on the ground; the cache may be knee-level, waist-level, eye-level, or overhead. How might the container be secured in place? With magnets? With a hook? With string? With fishing line? With something else? Does anything move when you touch it? (Be careful when touching things though.)

Go ahead and read the cache's additional hints (if provided), and read the past logs and look at any photos in the cache's image gallery. They may help you understand what you're looking for, and how/where it may be hidden. It may also help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums, and check out some geocaching videos on YouTube.

15 hours ago, niraD said:

Here is some advice for beginners that I've posted before. I know you have some experience with non-urban hides, but you might still find it useful, especially the part towards the end about ways to learn what types of hides might be out there...

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.) And it is often best to start with traditional 2.gif caches, which will be at the published coordinates. Multi-caches 3.gif or mystery/puzzle caches 8.gif or other cache types can require more work just to figure out where the container is located.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10ft). That applies both to your device, and to the cache owner’s device, so you may find the container 5-6m (16-20ft) from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate. Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden.

Where would you hide something? Do you notice anything unusual? Is anything too new, too old, too organized (e.g., UPS: an Unnatural Pile of Sticks/Stones), too symmetrical, not quite the right color or shape, etc.? Don’t look only on the ground; the cache may be knee-level, waist-level, eye-level, or overhead. How might the container be secured in place? With magnets? With a hook? With string? With fishing line? With something else? Does anything move when you touch it? (Be careful when touching things though.)

Go ahead and read the cache's additional hints (if provided), and read the past logs and look at any photos in the cache's image gallery. They may help you understand what you're looking for, and how/where it may be hidden. It may also help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums, and check out some geocaching videos on YouTube.

This is great information. I made a copy.

Hey gang...

Maybe re-read my question?

I'm asking specifically about tips for hiding caches in a CITY.

While your geocache 101 post may be helpful to others, I was asking a specific question about urban caching.  I'm new to geocaching.... But not THAT new. ;). Ive done my homework on the basics.

I'm interested in ways to disguise caches in city environments, not necessarily all just caches in trees and parks.

If anyone has any tips or design ideas for urban caches please link and share!

TY!

8 hours ago, VRTrooper84 said:

I'm interested in ways to disguise caches in city environments, not necessarily all just caches in trees and parks.

Did you find the part of my post towards the end useful? The part about ways to learn what types of hides might be out there?

23 hours ago, VRTrooper84 said:

Hey gang...

Maybe re-read my question?

I'm asking specifically about tips for hiding caches in a CITY.

While your geocache 101 post may be helpful to others, I was asking a specific question about urban caching.  I'm new to geocaching.... But not THAT new. ;). Ive done my homework on the basics.

If anyone has any tips or design ideas for urban caches please link and share!

TY!

I gave a few. Also a tip to keep caches out of muggles hands (you also asked for that).  

One urban cache I saw a few times in the city was this (see photo). They are magnetic and really blends in well on metal items like street signs, utility boxes, bus stops and bus shelters, etc.

urben.jpg

• Helpful 1

On 1/13/2020 at 12:12 AM, VRTrooper84 said:

A lot of the really hard-to-find urban caches that I've found have custom camouflage that is specifically designed for the location. An existing hole might be filled with a plug that matches the object, and the cache is inside the plug. Or the cache might be designed to match some objects that already exist, and the cache appears to be one more of those.

As far as keeping them out of the hands of muggles, I often pick up litter (CITO) while searching, then toss the cache into my litter bag. After searching a little more, I take a break to sign the log, and then I replace the cache while picking up more litter. I never stop when I find the cache. It also helps that I have big hands and can hide most micro-caches and some small caches from view.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, niraD said:

As far as keeping them out of the hands of muggles, I often pick up litter (CITO) while searching, then toss the cache into my litter bag. After searching a little more, I take a break to sign the log, and then I replace the cache while picking up more litter. I never stop when I find the cache. It also helps that I have big hands and can hide most micro-caches and some small caches from view.

This is a great tip.

1 hour ago, niraD said:

Nice.

That's a great tactic and also makes u look like a really nice person cleaning up garbage.

I've heard about people using their cellphones and pretend to be talking on their phones while searching.

Nothing is more satisfying then finding a cache that's been ingeniously camouflaged in the city. I wish there were more caches like that in the wild.

2 hours ago, HunterandSamuel said:

One urban cache I saw a few times in the city was this (see photo). They are magnetic and really blends in well on metal items like street signs, utility boxes, bus stops and bus shelters, etc.

urben.jpg

I've only found one of these in the wild so far.

1 hour ago, VRTrooper84 said:

I've heard about people using their cellphones and pretend to be talking on their phones while searching.

Yes! We have done that many times although when my husband makes believe he's talking on the cell...he doesn't talk or move his lips. lol  Looks suspicious when he does it! 

1 hour ago, VRTrooper84 said:

That's a great tactic and also makes u look like a really nice person cleaning up garbage.

You can also wear an orange vest to make it official looking. lol That's what we see city employees wearing when removing trash.

orange.jpg

37 minutes ago, VRTrooper84 said:

The only one off topic is you.

Please try to be respectful of every user, volunteers included. Work with the moderator, not against him. 
This sub-forum debates design... on ideas for city caches. Suggestions on using a reflective jacket to geocaching or owner maintenance, or random tips for avoiding muggles attention are better suited on the general forums... and with a wider audience too.

Do you want me to move it?

Edited by RuideAlmeida