Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
DrPflug

CO name = [Deleted_User]

Recommended Posts

Has anybody seen this before?  Here is one such cache I've seen recently with this:  https://coord.info/GC7F7JQ There  are more .   Why is this??

 

It apparently causes problems with Challenge Checkers that retrieve the CO name of a cache by returning an invalid geocaching id.   and then the script fails.

Share this post


Link to post

I think it's where someone has requested that their data be deleted. I think found logs etc... just disappear, but obviously the cache page doesn't so this happens with ownership of, presumably, archived caches.

Share this post


Link to post

Members can go in and disable their account on their own, which retains all of their content, like logs. They can also go a step further and request that HQ completely delete their account, which is what has happened in this case.

Help Center - 1.16. Disable account

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, DrPflug said:

It apparently causes problems with Challenge Checkers that retrieve the CO name of a cache by returning an invalid geocaching id.   and then the script fails.

Sounds like a problem with the script that failed.

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, DrPflug said:

Has anybody seen this before?  Here is one such cache I've seen recently with this:  https://coord.info/GC7F7JQ There  are more .   Why is this??

 

It apparently causes problems with Challenge Checkers that retrieve the CO name of a cache by returning an invalid geocaching id.   and then the script fails.

In this particular case, you can determine who hid the cache. Can you manually add that to the challenge cache data?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

In this particular case, you can determine who hid the cache. Can you manually add that to the challenge cache data?

In this case, what would you add? The hider has had his/her account deleted. The name and Id for that user no longer exist and have no useful value. Frankly, the checker needs to be updated to properly handle this case.

  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Corfman Clan said:

In this case, what would you add? The hider has had his/her account deleted. The name and Id for that user no longer exist and have no useful value. Frankly, the checker needs to be updated to properly handle this case.

I'd add the "hidden by" name. 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I'd add the "hidden by" name. 

But the name no longer exists. On those same lines, are you going to change the name back for every cache owner that has changed his/her caching name?

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, Corfman Clan said:

But the name no longer exists. On those same lines, are you going to change the name back for every cache owner that has changed his/her caching name.

 

On 8/30/2019 at 3:39 PM, Max and 99 said:

In this particular case, you can determine who hid the cache. Can you manually add that to the challenge cache data?

I said in this particular case. The "hidden by name" can be determined.  So if I was working on this challenge cache, that's what I would use. Their name.

 

I cannot speak in general terms. I agree that it would be helpful for the checker to be tweaked.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

 

I said in this particular case. The "hidden by name" can be determined.  So if I was working on this challenge cache, that's what I would use. Their name.

 

I cannot speak in general terms. I agree that it would be helpful for the checker to be tweaked.

Perhaps what the hidden name used to be can be determined, but now there isn't a name. If the owner's name is needed for a challenge, this cache should no longer be used. Likewise, if a cache owner changes his/her geocaching name, it may very well impact that same challenge. That's why I brought up that scenario. At any rate, I've said as much as I feel the need to here.

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/31/2019 at 11:06 PM, Corfman Clan said:

. Likewise, if a cache owner changes his/her geocaching name, it may very well impact that same challenge. 

Likewise if a cache is adopted that will impact the challenge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Likewise if [...] that will impact the challenge. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNcB-96CVFFFSQk_lyO2P

Edited by niraD
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4

×
×
  • Create New...