Waypoints incorrectly shown

Deepdiggingmole

I am not sure if this has been raised before so apologies if it has (tried searching - couldn't find anything)

I had an issue with a new cache I own where a trailhead waypoint ended up being the same as the cache location once the cache was published - I am sure that when the cache page was written up prior to submission and the waypoint added it was given the correct trailhead co-ords. 

Now, I wouldn't have thought anymore of it and would have put it down to operator (me) error, except for the fact that we have come across several other caches where additional waypoints (mainly parking) have been shown to be at the cache co-ords and not at the location the the CO intended. We have advised those COs each time we have spotted this and every time they have said the same as us - that they are sure they put the correct co-ords when writing up 

So I feel that a glitch somewhere is reverting the additional waypoint co-ords back to the cache co-ords - I appreciate that this is not happening all the time and maybe only happening on a very small percentage of occasions (this only occurred on one of four caches in the new series (of 12) I submitted that did have additional waypoints) 

I checked with my reviewer who advised me that on submission the trailhead co-ords did show the same as cache - I asked as I wanted to try and ascertain at what point the error occurred 

Has anyone else noticed this either on their own new caches or on caches they have found where there are aditional waypoints

Could this be a weird - not happening most of the time - glitch 

Tim

• Upvote 1

I have a dreadful time with coordinates. In the winter I posted a cache that ended up miles from where it really was. I did not notice the coordinates when saved were different. Ive submitted many caches and never had this problem.. Since then Ive had the same issue. Ienter the correct coordinates and when I save they change. I currently have two caches hidden but have not subnmitted them because I cannot get the coordinates to save correctly.

I just submitted an Event tonight. It took me four or five attempts to get the coordinates entered. I copy/pasted rather than entered, but it FINALLY took them. Weird that the 'verification map' showed me at least two different incorrect locations.

I suggest all new development stop until the various problems are resolved.

• Upvote 1

I've recently published (within the past 6 weeks, one just a week ago) a series of puzzle caches with parking coordinates and bogus coordinates.  I had no issues with having the hidden end coordinates NOT show, and parking and other coordinates showing as expected.  

On 7/5/2019 at 2:28 AM, Deepdiggingmole said:

Could this be a weird - not happening most of the time - glitch 

Perhaps it is - and how frustrating to try and get a cache to publication and have the coordinates not cooperate!

For those who have had coordinates seemingly change themselves, what format are you entering them in (degrees, decimal minutes; decimal degrees; degrees, minutes, seconds; etc.)? If you're copying and pasting from somewhere else, did the coordinates include degree symbols, single quotes, or double quotes? While I haven't submitted anything recently, I've never had issues entering coordinates in the format "N45 12.345 W120 56.789" with no special characters. A common issue that comes up is that the ordinal character (º) is sometimes used instead of the proper degree character (°), which can trip up coordinate parsing software.

There must be something common to the cases where it isn't working. We'd just need to figure out what that is.

1 hour ago, The A-Team said:

For those who have had coordinates seemingly change themselves, what format are you entering them in (degrees, decimal minutes; decimal degrees; degrees, minutes, seconds; etc.)? If you're copying and pasting from somewhere else, did the coordinates include degree symbols, single quotes, or double quotes? While I haven't submitted anything recently, I've never had issues entering coordinates in the format "N45 12.345 W120 56.789" with no special characters. A common issue that comes up is that the ordinal character (º) is sometimes used instead of the proper degree character (°), which can trip up coordinate parsing software.

There must be something common to the cases where it isn't working. We'd just need to figure out what that is.

I used the same method that I have used for several other past events I submitted. I copied the coordinates from Google Earth Pro, using DD MM.MMM format. These attempts had the degree character and the minutes character included.  I noticed on one attempt, the coordinates I pasted into the form changed to some that were waaayy off from what I pasted. West coordinate jumped from 94 to 101 in one instance I noticed.   I have never had the issue in the past.

2 hours ago, The A-Team said:

Mine, I think, was a copy and paste from the Home Coordinates.