Is there an East Tennessee GEOCache Club/Association?

It would be great to have an organization particularly to have events promoting Geocaching, and encourage understanding of Geocaching with the politicians and parks and recs people. We could also have organized CITO events or for particular caches. It would be wonderful if the group would help maintain the overall quality of all caches in the area through events such as CITO or awareness caching.

We could not lead an association but would certainly join and participate. We may even be able to help design a logo, t-shirts, and website.

McCaughan Family

Geocaching Families of East TN

Thanks for the responses guys. I was hoping for more. Maybe there are not that many cachers in ET? I have a confession to make. I just bought a GPS unit today and am looking forward to my first cache. I would love to participate in forming an ET Association but my time may be limited because I travel alot w/my company. McCaughan Family - I like your ideas. Maybe if this thread stays on for a while, then we might see that we have enough people to start one. Let's see what kind of responses we get. I'm going out of town for 3-4 weeks and maybe by then we will have a few more cachers on board and willing? JoGPS - I would love to but I'm leaving Sunday on a business trip. Thanks for the invite though. Good Luck guys...maybe we'll see each other on the trails?

Stephen

Hey guys...thanks for the responses. I hope to see more. McCaughan Family - I love your ideas and if we get enough responses to form a group then I agree that we should incorporate your ideas. I travel alot with my company so right now my time is very limited, however I would love to participate in forming an ET association. JoGPS - I would love to but I am going out of town for a while on Sunday. Thanks Guys. I keep checking the responses and see how interested cachers are in the idea. Thanks.

Stephen

quote:
Originally posted by TNRonin:

http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=2416058331&m=31860837

http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=2416058331&m=31860837&r=31860837#31860837

Yeah but that's more of a middle TN thing. It's on the plateau, which I consider Mid TN. I was hoping for something for something a bit closer to Oak Ridge or in the valley at least.

Well...it looks like we have at least one more on board. I hope we can get enough people together before Pilotman has to take off for a while. Let's keep our fingers crossed and maybe they will come. By the way... I looked for my very first cache in Kingston last weekend. I could not find it and it was supposed to be easy to find. I think maybe someone moved/took it or else the heavy rains washed it away. I am going to try one more time just in case I wasn't using my etrex correctly. Good Luck everybody!

Stephen

Count me in- I'd love to be a part of something if it gets started up. I could find time to help; however, with the semester having just begun I really only have time on the weekends. With everyone living in different areas (Oak Ridge, Tri-cities, etc and me in Maryville) I wonder about a club with, say, a Tri-cities area and Knoxville area chapter? Or would that just complicate things too much unless a large number of people were interested? ( I personally wouldn't mind driving within about an hour of Maryville, but Johnson city or Crossville are a bit far for me).

...Not all who wander are lost... unless the batteries in their GPS die, their maps get ruined by rainwater when their pack leaks, and they find themselves in a laurel thicket. Then, they are probably lost.

-DavidMac; (formerly Someonenameddave)

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the new responses. I have been out of town all week and just getting back to my computer. To me it looks like there are several people scattered all over East Tn. I agree with DavidMac that maybe the best thing to do is for everyone to strive for a club in their respective areas and maybe then when each club gets built up we could have a annual East Tennessee gathering??? I live in Kingston and would be willing to travel to Knoxville for meetings. Knoxville is a central location for a lot of folks and has numerous resources for meetings. What do you all think?