Garmin 64s OSM Maps and other questions

Hi guys!

I want to start caching more and want to buy a Garmin 64s or st. The only difference between them seems to be the TOPO maps. I also read, that you can install own maps. So my first question is: Can you install Europe TOPO maps from OSM? I mean, why should I buy the 64st, if I can use the free OSM maps?

Second question: I read about that not every maps are able to rout me. I dont get this. What does this mean? When I set a point where I want to go, the device should show me the way on the trails. Is this what its meant when say "able to rout"? And most important: Can free OSM maps be used to rout me?

And the third question is: Do I need a computer or can I load the caches via smartphone on the device? If only with PC: Can I download all nearby caches (or more) with the texts and hints and put them on the device to use it "offline"?

Many questions, but I hope you can answer them to me.

You can always direct route. That is, the GPS will show you a straight line between you and your destination.

But some maps, including most OSM maps, have routable street data, and the GPS can give you turn by turn directions, or follow trails. Routing has its uses, especially if you use your GPS in the car or on a bike, or need directions walking to a place in town, and occasionally for hiking if you want a more accurate estimation of the distance to your destination. But for most on-foot activities (especially geocaching), direct routing is fine, if not preferred.

In the US, the map that comes with the t version is non-routable, and whether or not it's worth the extra cost is up to you. I find that the free topo maps have more detail, but only cover on a state-by-state basis. For some people, having one contiguous map (with DEM elevation data) is more useful. I'm not sure what the European default topo map is, but there are some great free options, so I imagine that the t version is only useful for those who don't want to fiddle with loading their own maps.

Garmin just announced an update for the 64 - the 64x series. So you may wish to wait until the 64xs comes out, which will allow you to connect to the Galileo satellites in addition to GPS and GLONASS, unless you'd like the 66s which has a larger and higher resolution screen, but costs more.

To answer your third question, Yes (and no). There are ways to get geocache files onto a GPS receiver via smartphone, but having a computer is by far the easiest way to do it. Yes, you can download all caches for an area. You use pocket queries to accomplish this, getting 1000 caches at a time for a given area. And yes, you'll get all of the cache information including description, hints, and recent logs. These are truly paperless devices.

The exception to that is the 66s. It can connect to wifi and geocaching.com directly to download geocaches without needing to connect to a computer. It can tether onto your phone's connection through bluetooth so that you can even download caches while out in the field. I would still recommend using pocket queries, as you can get listings for a larger swath of area at once than with the live download. But you can download these without connecting to a computer.

Regardless, once geocache data is on the unit, it's there to use offline. 

Edited by Mineral2
  • Upvote 1

Wow, thanks for this detailed answer.

Yes, I thought about the 66s too, but a video made by a hunter was realy not good for the 66s. I thought it would be cool, but there are also many negative reviews on amazon. Also I bearly find and tests of the 66s, so not many people seem to have it.

So basicly the 64s(x) version is enough for me, if I find a free routable map.

The only question is now, WHEN the sx will come out.

Oh, and another one: Since GPS and GLONASS works worldwide, what advantage do I have from Galileo? I know its an european satellite, but didnt it also "only" gave me the GPS data like the other two types?

(p.s.: I see that the sx also have more connections)

This is possible? Seems nice but I still wonder why it isnt released in Europe yet. There must be a reason for this. Maybe some technical things?

Edit: Maybe something with Galileo satellite? Maybe that the non-europe devices doesnt support galileo or it will be adjusted for eu?

Edited by JacyDeSica
1 hour ago, Mineral2 said:

no, it's nothing to do with Galileo. Probably more to do with production quantities.

Very likely.

The 64x series is currently listed as available with either North America TopoActive maps or Australia and New Zealand TopoActive maps.

We all know Garmin already has TopoActive maps for Europe, and I suspect they are just pacing themselves for predicted demand.

On 6/10/2019 at 10:28 AM, JacyDeSica said:

The only question is now, WHEN the sx will come out.

I'm holding one in my hand right now.  I ordered it from REI a week ago and picked it up at the store on Wednesday.

My five-year-old 64s had finally worn out.  I tried a 66s and returned it (because you can't display 2 small data fields on the map).  The 64sx works (almost completely) just like the 64s, which I've loved for years.

I'm still figuring out the built-in maps.  I was quite surprised to find complete street maps for the United States that are routable.  The software license page mentions openstreetmaps, so I guess Garmin has incorporated them somehow.  I shall investigate further.

2 hours ago, klossner said:

I'm holding one in my hand right now.  I ordered it from REI a week ago and picked it up at the store on Wednesday.

My five-year-old 64s had finally worn out.  I tried a 66s and returned it (because you can't display 2 small data fields on the map).  The 64sx works (almost completely) just like the 64s, which I've loved for years.

I'm still figuring out the built-in maps.  I was quite surprised to find complete street maps for the United States that are routable.  The software license page mentions openstreetmaps, so I guess Garmin has incorporated them somehow.  I shall investigate further.

The GPSMAP 64(x) series is essentially an evolutionary updated GPSMAP 64. At first glance, they are difficult to tell apart. The TopoActive maps installed are OSM based.