Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
IceColdUK

Wherigo App (iPhone): Groundspeak API Error

On the Search screen I’m getting the following error.

656D09F4-8792-491C-BD75-BAEC766964D2.thumb.png.41bd57cf9d2ec129b1bcbaa37111a704.png

If I attempt to Reauthorize, I can log in to my Geocaching account and “Agree” to share, but I get the same error when I’m returned to the Search screen.

DC104824-26F2-4100-BAFC-316888C7278C.thumb.png.b47d066657fddfb08c7ccb7fccdec33c.png

(I realise it is still possible to download cartridges directly from Wherigo.com.)

Question for moderator: Is this the correct forum for a bug report on the Groundspeak Wherigo app?

13 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

Question for moderator: Is this the correct forum for a bug report on the Groundspeak Wherigo app?

Answer from moderator: yes and no.  Yes, if the developer is watching this.  No, if he's not.  Yes, I'd contact him myself if the first answer was a no.

You can get around this by opening the Wherigo site in Safari outside the app.  Go to the download page as you would on the desktop.  Just before the download begins, Safari will ask if you want to open the cartridge in the Wherigo app.  Say yes and it will be done.  So there's a good workaround for things.  That's also how some people load cartridges from the other site.

7 hours ago, Ranger Fox said:

Answer from moderator: yes and no.  Yes, if the developer is watching this.  No, if he's not.  Yes, I'd contact him myself if the first answer was a no.

Thanks, but who is the developer?  It’s a Groundspeak app right?  Would it be better to post this in the Geocaching iPhone App forum?

7 hours ago, Ranger Fox said:

You can get around this by opening the Wherigo site in Safari ...

Thanks.  I’d already checked this, but there are people discussing this on social media that have only every downloaded cartridges through the app.

As of today 06/07/2019 9:41 PM PDT, the API still does not allow to use the App to download cartridge.  Thanks Ranger Fox for the workaround.  Will Geocaching.com fix the App?   

Like most people with an iphone, we get exactly the same error Groundspeak error messages. You can try again or removing the app and reinstalling. Nothing works. The Wherigo app did used to work several weeks ago, so something must have gone wrong. It just there is no help or advice as to when it will be fixed.

I tried removing the app and reinstalled.  The same issue.  I had also used the app a week ago and it worked.  It appears that geocaching.com (owner) needs to correct the app for the new API.  It appears that it is not high on their todo list.

spstanley wrote the app and Groundspeak made it their official app later on.  I'm not even sure if Groundspeak has the source code.  All apps are community-made and all but one builder is community-made.

Please be aware that it does take some time for Apple to review app updates and put them in the App Store.

I sent an e-mail (following the contact-page), and got this answere:

Thank you for contacting us about Wherigo caches.

At this time we not able to provide technical support for Wherigo. Please try posting your question on the Wherigo forums. These forums are monitored and can usually provide you with the best support.

Best,

Andrew
Geocaching Community Manager.

Well i'm "glad" to know that it is'nt my own problem. But it their answere makes me think that it will take a long long time...

That’s the standard boilerplate. I think I’m expected to handle everything because I had been doing such a good job of it since 2008. Ha, ha. This is sad.