Question on adjusted coordinates

I recently published a new cache.  After it published, I noticed that the little icon on the map was about 5 ft off actual GZ.  When getting the original coords, I used my averager, which has never given me problems, and also checked them through Google maps to make sure they were good.  But it seems like they were still off.  So, I got better coords and then went in and put in a note for adjusted coords.  So now the cache coords are showing as updated, but it does not seem like the icon has moved at all.  It is still not centered over GZ.  How long does the map icon to reflect the adjusted coords?

In terms of handheld GPSs/phones 5ft is pretty much spot on, it's also possible that the map is 5ft out, so I would have left the co-ords as is.

I'm not sure how noticable a 5 foot move would be on the map page - it's less than the width of a car.

Having said that, when you changed the co-ords did you do it using the pencil by the co-ords on the cache page (if so that doesn't change the placed co-ordinates), you  would need to change them by doing an "Update co-ordinates" log, or editing the cache page to change the waypoint co-ords.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
4 hours ago, MartyBartfast said:

Having said that, when you changed the co-ords did you do it using the pencil by the co-ords on the cache page (if so that doesn't change the placed co-ordinates), you  would need to change them by doing an "Update co-ordinates" log, or editing the cache page to change the waypoint co-ords.

I wondered that too, because that's becoming a bigger and bigger problem. However, if it's GC87ZV2, then it looks like the coordinates have been successfully updated., it 

It looks like the coordinates were actually updated by almost 20 feet. Regardless, MartyBartfast's statement is still correct that this is small enough that it would be hard to detect on a map. Changes to the coordinates should move the icon immediately, so the icon likely has moved and it was just too small a change to be detectable.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

There definitely are some misconceptions floating around about GPS accuracy.  I often hear people throwing off at a cache because it was off by 3 or 4 metres.  What they fail to understand is that their own GPS could be anywhere up to 4 or 5m off (in clear air and good weather) and the hider's GPS could be anywhere up to the same, meaning that if, as a finder, you are within 8 metres, then the coords are good. Averaging coords, or waiting for the GPS to "settle" helps, but doesn't eliminate this error.  If the coords are better than that, like when you actually get to 0m on top of the cache, that's awesome, either everything is working perfectly that day, or the errors in your GPS and the hider's GPS are cancelling each other out.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

The maps are only relevant if you plan on geocaching by map.  Trust your gps.  5 feet is well within an expected and acceptable error for a handheld unit.  The only time I use the map is to double check that I haven't fat fingered the coordinates (i.e. off by miles)

• Helpful 1
14 hours ago, Jinxer05 said:

I recently published a new cache.  After it published, I noticed that the little icon on the map was about 5 ft off actual GZ. 

When getting the original coords, I used my averager, which has never given me problems, and also checked them through Google maps to make sure they were good.  But it seems like they were still off. 

Most times when I'm heading to GZ, the GPSr's in my pocket and I'm already looking around 20 feet.      :)

Five feet is about three steps...

6 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Most times when I'm heading to GZ, the GPSr's in my pocket and I'm already looking around 20 feet.      :)

Five feet is about three steps...

On one of my caches, from the obvious place where one would park, a tree can be seen from about 150 feet away.  There are no other trees, nor obvious spots where a cache could be hidden in the field.  Guess where the cache is hidden   There are times when one can put their GPS in their pocket while still 100 feet or away from the cache and identify a small area to search.   BTW, although it's very obvious that my cache is hidden in the tree, the camo job on it makes it a bit more difficult to find.