Reconstruct activity to find a missing TB

CAVinoGal

My question is, as a CO of a cache that seems to have a missing TB dropped by some one in August 2018, can I "easily" see who moved TB's through my cache in the 2-3 months after the drop and when I didn't see it in the cache?  Some loggers mentioned dropping or retrieving bugs, but no specifics on WHICH bugs - it's daunting to visit the logs of all the bugs that have been through the cache, or through cachers' hands, with all the pages of visits....

It disappeared from the cache between the drop in August and my visit in November.  Should I mark it missing? Should I just wait for it to, maybe, show up again?  Should I care?!  It's listed in the cache inventory but is not there.  If I mark it missing, and someone actually has it, can they correct the logs to then properly retrieve it and move it along?

27 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

My question is, as a CO of a cache that seems to have a missing TB dropped by some one in August 2018, can I "easily" see who moved TB's through my cache in the 2-3 months after the drop and when I didn't see it in the cache?  Some loggers mentioned dropping or retrieving bugs, but no specifics on WHICH bugs - it's daunting to visit the logs of all the bugs that have been through the cache, or through cachers' hands, with all the pages of visits....

It disappeared from the cache between the drop in August and my visit in November.  Should I mark it missing? Should I just wait for it to, maybe, show up again?  Should I care?!  It's listed in the cache inventory but is not there.  If I mark it missing, and someone actually has it, can they correct the logs to then properly retrieve it and move it along?

It's your cache and you know it's not in there in November when you stopped.  This is March...  

Mark it missing.  You'd like to have accurate records for your cache, right ?  :) 

If someone finally finds it under the car seat, or among the kid's swag stuff when vacuuming one day,  all they need to do is Grab it for it to be back in play. 

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

If I mark it missing, and someone actually has it, can they correct the logs to then properly retrieve it and move it along?

Once Marked Missing, the option for logging the TB will be "Grab from somewhere else", instead of "Retrieve" from the cache.  Assuming the intention of the taker is to properly log it, the process is very similar regardless.  But people arrive in the Forums totally confused anyway. ^_^

26 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Assuming the intention of the taker is to properly log it,

Which they haven't done for MONTHS, if they can even remember which cache it came from... it looks like the proper strep would be to mark it missing, and let the TO and the taker sort it out.  And my cache will have the correct information - the TB is not there.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Mark Missing moves the trackable to an Unknown location.  When/if someone ever logs it again, it will simply pick up again, in their hands, (assuming grab log)  from its last known location. The implementation of this is just about perfect.

No need for you to reconstruct what happened at all  - no need to hesitate a minute over Mark Missing.  You don't need to wait, to see if a traveler is waiting to log it. If they grabbed it and can't log for couple of weeks - no problem. You Mark Missing to clear it from the inventory of your cache, where it is NOT, and the "grabber" just grabs it - exactly the same as if it were still in inventory.

It won't bother them on the "grab" end, it won't bother the trackable on its travels. 

17 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

You don't need to wait, to see if a traveler is waiting to log it. If they grabbed it and can't log for couple of weeks - no problem. You Mark Missing to clear it from the inventory of your cache, where it is NOT, and the "grabber" just grabs it -

I got this - and I did mark it as "Missing" - all is well, except I would like to know what happened to it!  Someone entrusted it to my cache container, after all.  I do my best to keep travel bug logs accurate and up to date, and I know not all cachers are as conscientious.