Any one approving caches in Oregon lately?

The Mailleman

Last time I asked a question like that Rick I had a couple of approvers jump on me. They'll supply links that show a cache is to be approved within 24-48 hours, or so.

Jeremy has stated that the approvers are overwhelmed with work due to locationless caches. So they suspended them. He also assures people his approvers don't need any help.

I submitted a couple also. I have found that if you want a cache to show up for saturday morning you'd better submit it thursday. Sometimes they get approved right away.

I think regardless of what Jerm has to say that the approvers really do need help, regardless of locationless being available or not.

Oh I'm not offering to help, he doesn't like me anymore than I like him. I'll just continue to send my membership fees in.

Rick one of the old Klamath cachers used to be an approver. It was nice, give him a phone call and he'd go online and fix ya up. Things got busy.

I hear voices.....and they don't like you!

Yep I'm impatient too. I'm hoping that caches submitted friday morning might be approved before the weekend is over. But then again, we saw a thread started by a pissed off moderator this morning. Oh those people skills Jeremy has.

I'm caching tomorrow, hopefully your cache will be approved and in the general area I plan to head off for. We did Klamath yesterday. Too many caches for me in one day. I was burned out half way through the day.

Well I see The Mailleman's cache has posted. I'm about to go ahead and put one in the system and well see how that goes. I have to give credit where credit is due though. I placed a micro in the middle of the week and It was approved in a couple of hours. I was very pleased with that mostly because I had never had such a quick response. Hopefully I'll have the same luck now.

Don't hunt what you can't kill!

evergreen I know they have lives and I know how long they spend on this approving business. I also know, regardless of what Jeremy says, that they need help. Too bad he can't see that.

But there are a couple of new caches listed in my area this morning so I'm outta here in a bit. Time to go burn some cheap gas and batteries

quote:
Originally posted by Lazyboy & Mitey Mite:

evergreen I know they have lives and I know how long they spend on this approving business. I also know, regardless of what Jeremy says, that they need help. Too bad he can't see that.

Well, do you have any specific suggestions? Obviously, just throwing more bodies at the problem isn't enough. After reading the forums for a short while it's apparent that cache approvers cannot win -

If they take too long to approve caches, people complain. If they reject certain caches, people complain. If they approve the 'wrong' caches, people complain.

Personally, I'm a bit surprised anyone lasts long at all at the job. And even if Jeremy has a list of would-be volunteers, they would need to be trained, and further need to support Jeremy and his vision for geocaching.com; it's his website, after all. With all the complaining, what he certainly doesn't need is someone who comes in and starts screwing up the program.

So how show Jeremy go about finding the correct people for this thankless job?

Ron/yumitori

Having worked as a moderator and administrator on a website before, I have to tell you it is a thankless job. Especially when you consider these people are probably volunteers, just doing it for the love of Geocaching. Being a website admin is fun for the first two weeks or so, after that it is a responsibility wrought with several headaches more than anything else.

A well thought out and placed geocache could last 20 years. In my opionion a few days of delay in the beginning should not be a paramount issue. icon_rolleyes.gif

7047_200.gif