Car Sticker

geegaws

1 hour ago, geegaws said:

For my birthday, I have been given a car sticker travel bug, that came with a TB dogtag.  Does this mean that I can have my car as a TB and the TB Dogtag can also be a TB and sent out into the cache ether?

If both have the same tracking number, the sticker is for the car, and the tag is for you to keep.  The tag is the trackable item, the decal is the copy.

Mine is a car decal and a Geocoin, but it's not too different from yours.  Cachers ask to see the coin, or if they ask about it without seeing the decal, I have a physical trackable item to show.

As mentioned you can place the tag to travel if you like.  But if you see a log "Discovered it, thanks!", or especially "Grabbed it", how will you know if they mean the decal or the tag?

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, kunarion said:

As mentioned you can place the tag to travel if you like.  But if you see a log "Discovered it, thanks!", or especially "Grabbed it", how will you know if they mean the decal or the tag?

Yep.

- Though wordy logs are so infrequent that it might not matter...

Also, if both are sent out at the same time and create an issue with others,  they could be locked so that doesn't happen again.

We've seen a couple get locked because of grumbling cachers thinking if they found the "original", the other must be "faking it".

9 minutes ago, Wee_Free_Wullie said:

So I have another question concerning car stickers. I am thinking about getting a car sticker which will be placed inside the car. Does anybody know if you can see a white TB sticker on tinted windows?

I guess that will depend on just how dark the tint is.  I can tell you that white stands out far better than black.  (I have a black TB decal in my car’s back window, and I don’t think it would be noticed at all without the white geocaching sticker next to it.)

The last event I logged attended on had two vehicles with white trackable lettering.

Of all the vehicles in the parking lot, I missed those two (and told where they were by both attendees).

- "Oh, everyone misses that" said one...

Depending on tint and weather (it was overcast that day),  do you really want to have to explain where it is each time you're out ?

- They probably would have been better off (with that dark tint) to just have a decal on the outside.

One didn't think about (until I pointed it out...) that they put their trackable decal on to the rear defogger tape...     :)

7 hours ago, Wee_Free_Wullie said:

So I have another question concerning car stickers. I am thinking about getting a car sticker which will be placed inside the car. Does anybody know if you can see a white TB sticker on tinted windows?

My back window is too dark to be able to see my white cling TB, so I have put it in the front.   I  don't think anyone sees it there. 

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:13 AM, Wee_Free_Wullie said:

Write a couple of words big and bold on a piece of paper and place it inside the window.  See if it's suitably readable day and night.  If so, a white sticker may work, depending on how you place it.

I had an official "The Travel Bug" vinyl window sticker, and stuck it to a rectangle of dark plastic to make it a "sign", then tucked that at a corner inside my back window (not tinted).  It was OK, but it got seriously toasted in the summer heat.  Even a sticker on the outside of a window degrades after a while, so I don't put stickers onto the glass.

I ordered a custom-made 4" tall "Travel Bug" magnet sign.  The back of the car's trunk lid is magnetic.  I stick the magnet there when I feel like it, along with a "Geo Tours" or  "Geocaching" logo magnet.

Edited by kunarion