Activating trackables

sgtbosco

29 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

To maybe answer other questions ...  everything you wanted to know about Trackables in the Help Center.   :)

I really wish I could simply link to a proper Help Center article, rather than repeat it in the Forum.  That would be a lot less work.  The Help Center article specifically for the "Collectible" feature has improved over time, but since it still uses terms not found in the actual Collectible/Collection process, I have created a revised version here. It is more than most cachers need to mess with.  Hint: don't even mess with "Collectible" at all unless you are certain it's exactly what you need, in which case you have a plan, and therefore you already understand the whole thing.

================

The Trackable Collection

Trackable owners can set the status of their trackable items as Collectible or Not Collectible. If you are activating a trackable for the first time, if you wish to activate a trackable item to place it into a geocache to travel, either mark it “Not Collectible” or leave the option unselected.  You can still choose a different option later.

Collectible

•Mark your trackable “Collectible” when you are actively trying to get it into a Collection, and only then, yours or another geocacher's. Any geocacher can move a Collectible trackable to their Collection.

•Be sure that your trackable description explains the plan.  When a trackable is marked "Collectible", it may be the intention of the owner that it is to be moved to a very particular geocacher's collection.  Read the description or ask the owner for details.

•Trackables in your Collection do not show in your Inventory, and are not available to be logged into caches.

•When it is in a geocacher’s Collection, you may only log Discover or Note on that trackable .

•By itself, "Collectible" only enables the move to a Collection.  It is one part of a process.

Not Collectible

•Will be in the Inventory of a geocacher or geocache.

•Trackables not moved into a Collection are meant to be placed into a geocache to travel from cache to cache.

•Available log types for trackable that is not in a Collection are retrieve, drop, and grab.

Move a trackable to your collection

1.On the trackable details page, select Edit This Trackable.

2.Check the box “Make this Trackable collectible”, which enables the following move.

3.Select Submit Changes.

4.Move the trackable to your Collection:

•From the trackable details page: Select Move To Collection under “Actions”.

•From your Inventory: Select Move To Collection.

•Once it is in a Collection as desired, you may select the trackable to be “Not Collectible”.

Move a trackable out of your collection

•From your Collection: Select Move to Inventory.

•From the trackable details page: Select Move To Inventory under “Actions”.

If you set a trackable status as Collectible, another geocacher can grab it and move it into their own Collection, for example if you are loaning it to a friend to complete a set of Geocoins. This is done only as you wish, you still own the item, and at any time the owner may return the item to play.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 2
Just now, cerberus1 said:

I prefer to give members the information as given by the site.  That way someone's own bias' don't enter helpful information.   :)

BTW, in Not Collectible you forgot to mention there are also  "Discover" and "Visit" logging options. 

Cool.  That sentence was copied word-for-word from the site.  :ph34r:

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:42 PM, cerberus1 said:

I realized that, but since you said you have created a revised version , figured you missed it.

That's why I ain't linking to it. But it sure is a good thing to have, since the "Visit" option is a big consideration, especially if it's a car TB. 

I haven't really added anything about "why" The Collection exists, since the Help Center is all about what does what (sort of).  And especially for this topic, it's good to know exactly which setting does what.  People select their car TB  "Collectible" because they read that it prevents someone maliciously "grabbing" the "car".  But that's not really the whole deal.  There's a lot more, and to explain that, one must explain what "The Collection" does and why.  I can't even get TPTB to use the actual term "Not Collectible" (what is the deal with officially using the exact phrase spelled "Non-collectable"?  No wonder there's confusion), so the entire explanation is way beyond the scope of what I could do.  TPTB have a business plan for "Trackables", and if this topic is any indication, it's a way different plan that what we'd hope.:ph34r:

But I'm adding more new lines anyway.  Gonna start a suggestion thread about the Help File.

The way I've used "The Collection" is for a Geocoin that I bring to Events for "Discover" logs, and for cache cards where all cards have the same tracking number.  Some people do a similar thing for their car TB stickers.

For either, I first mark it Collectible, then move it to the Collection, then mark it Not Collectible.  I then have logging info on the trackable's page.  Now nobody can grab it, nor place it into their own Collection.  I select "Not Collectible" just for added security, since "Collectible" has a function only while moving a trackable to a Collection, and in particular circumstances could get a TB moved into anyone's Collection.  And people come into the Forums all the time to ask why some coin they picked up is set like that (oooh, does it meant I get to… keep it?!), and it's just more confusion in general to leave it "Collectible".  It's just one less thing for me to wonder about, when all my trackables are set "Not Collectible" by default.

But here's the thing.  Seriously, take this to heart.  If you place your car TB sticker into your Collection so that people can't "mess with it", you're doing it wrong.  Hey doggy, can they still mess with it!  Say someone sees your car and "Grabs" the trackable.  Simply grab it back.  If they can't cut it out, contact Geocaching.com, and don't take "no" for an answer.  A menu selection won't foil someone who's intent on "messin' with you".  Don't believe me, go see if there's a Forum with hundreds of posts about people messin' with trackables, even set "Collectible", especially set as "Collectible".  I bet there is, somewhere...B)

That's why I leave my own car TB sticker available to all log options:  If I make it so "people can't mess with me", I've made it so that I can't log a Visit to a select cache!  So I want all options available.

OK, about those cache cards or that one coin.  I won't ever "Visit" them to a cache, the cards are all the same tracking number, other people have them, the map would be a mess.  Might as well make them "Discover Only".  You do that by moving them to the Collection.  Then mark them Not Collectible as usual.  Then mention the deal, on the Trackable's page.  Done.  If you're leaving your cherished Geocoin at home with the intent that nobody logs it, don't even activate it, and then you don't even have to bother with the mine field that is "Collectible/Collection/Non-collectable/Not Collectible".

And no, it's not the only way to do it.  It's a good plan, but hey.  Enjoy.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

@kunarionI, for one, find your explanation here and in another thread most helpful. I placed a trackable on my car and moved it to my collection. But after reading your posts here wonder if I could just make it non-collectable. It's not like someone's going to grab the actual car (or if anyone does, he's probably not a geocacher). It would be tedious to log it into a visit at every cache (and would it even be believable in caches in the middle of the woods?), but I might like to log now and then. If I find I have a stalker, I can always deactivate the TB (and call the police). I find, in general, geocachers are a friendly bunch. 

3 minutes ago, Lorien99 said:

@kunarionI, for one, find your explanation here and in another thread most helpful. I placed a trackable on my car and moved it to my collection. But after reading your posts here wonder if I could just make it non-collectable. It's not like someone's going to grab the actual car (or if anyone does, he's probably not a geocacher). It would be tedious to log it into a visit at every cache (and would it even be believable in caches in the middle of the woods?), but I might like to log now and then. If I find I have a stalker, I can always deactivate the TB (and call the police). I find, in general, geocachers are a friendly bunch. 

I'd suggest moving it out of the Collection, and then marking it "Not Collectible", for the very reasons you mention.  First, it will be back to the way you bought it, all options available to you, for convenience of logging.  Second, you get some practice on the whole "Collection" process.  So it's a win-win for you! :)

If someone at any time "grabs" your car, grab it back.  People love to click buttons, and many site buttons are inviting yet not fully understood.

I was thinking about how you looked at 3" and 6" trackable stickers, and how although I scan cars at a Geocaching Event, I almost never look for TB stickers in just any public parking lot.  So I have a plan for you.  Nevermind about a 6" sticker.  Get one that's like three feet tall and stick it up high on the car somewhere.  I'm sure to notice that.  :P

• Funny 1