Country required in the Title

T0SHEA

We have noticed that several categories require "Country" in title, however looking at pages of approved waymarks the majority do not include it in the title.

My question is: Why require "country" in the title, if officers are not going to adhere to the requirement?

Do you go with the norm and not include it or do you adhere to the requirement and include it?

Never understood requiring "country" in the title when in order to post a waymark you are required to "Select Country".

• Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

Do you go with the norm and not include it or do you adhere to the requirement and include it?

I am to include it, it allows when we see the list of daily validations to see more easily the country where the waymark comes from.

Systematically I put the country in the title even if it is not required.

8 minutes ago, pmaupin said:

I am to include it, it allows when we see the list of daily validations to see more easily the country where the waymark comes from.

Systematically I put the country in the title even if it is not required.

I admit, when I scan the day's newest waymarks,  it's nice to see the country in the title.  After that I don't need it. ?

4 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I admit, when I scan the day's newest waymarks,  it's nice to see the country in the title.  After that I don't need it. ?

Did not realize waymarkers actually paid attention to "View Newest Waymarks", if you want to see the most current you can always "view all newest waymarks"  giving all the details including country selected. :huh:

1 hour ago, BK-Hunters said:

We have noticed that several categories require "Country" in title, however looking at pages of approved waymarks the majority do not include it in the title.

My question is: Why require "country" in the title, if officers are not going to adhere to the requirement?

Never understood requiring "country" in the title when in order to post a waymark you are required to "Select Country".

Once again -- it depends.  If I am doing Oklahoma Historical Markers, I believe everyone expects it to be in the United States. I usually won't put the country in the title.

If I an doing an Aldi store,  I would put the country in, as Aldi's are in many countries. Same  with McDonald's.

3 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

Did not realize waymarkers actually paid attention to "View Newest Waymarks", if you want to see the most current you can always "view all newest waymarks"  giving all the details including country selected. :huh:

I don't understand the difference. They're the same thing, are they not?

The main question is: what is it good for? I really do like to see the bigger area where a waymark is located, at first sight, without scanning the fine print below. Especially in cases where nothing than the title is available, that is e.g. the reviewer's queue and RSS feeds, but it is also nice on normal list pages like search results. And a more or less uniform appearance is not that bad, if it allows exception when necessary.

Most experienced waymarkers do that. The point is the "country" (vs. "state" or "state and country" or whatever possible combination). Many categories have very similar naming conventions, but do differ in small details and the exact wording. My personal approach is pragmatic. For me these naming conventions mean: let the people instantly see where it is on the globe! And this means also that in some places a country is more required than in others. For some large countries (in the Waymarking sense, not necessarily in real life), we can assume that the regions/state/provinces are well known enough to serve as a substitution for the "country". This means the US, most probably Canada, and maybe Australia. Some people may find this approach somewhat unfair, and I can understand this opinion, but it works very well in most cases.

Edited by fi67
4 minutes ago, fi67 said:

The main question is: what is it good for? I really do like to see the bigger area where a waymark is located, at first sight, without scanning the fine print below. Especially in cases where nothing than the title is available, that is e.g. the reviewer's queue and RSS feeds, but it is also nice on normal list pages like search results. And a more or less uniform appearance is not that bad, if it allows exception when necessary.

This is very helpful to my eyes!

1 minute ago, Max and 99 said:

I don't understand the difference. They're the same thing, are they not?

If you look at Waymarking home page you see usually about 6. "View Newest Waymarks",

If you  click  "view all newest waymarks", today there are 6,239 or 250 pages.

So you can view 6 or 6,239 that is the difference...:)

5 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

If you look at Waymarking home page you see usually about 6. "View Newest Waymarks",

If you  click  "view all newest waymarks", today there are 6,239 or 250 pages.

So you can view 6 or 6,239 that is the difference...:)

I just click on "Newest Waymarks" , not "View all nearest waymarks".  every day to see all the new ones.  

1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

just click on "Newest Waymarks" , not "View all nearest waymarks".  every day to see all the new ones.  

Huh! 

Like "click" each individual newest waymark, if not I do not have a clickable link for just those six that can be viewed on the homepage.

I do have clickable links for "waymarks" and "categories", however these two links just take me to the home page with "Featured Waymarks"

Edited by BK-Hunters

I happen to be a reviewer in relatively new categories with the above requirement.  While I don't see the need for country in the title, I did agree to support the requirements of the category.  I go to the added effort to make sure each waymark in those categories have country in the title because that is what I signed up for.

On 9/8/2018 at 7:16 PM, elyob said:

I happen to be a reviewer in relatively new categories with the above requirement.  While I don't see the need for country in the title, I did agree to support the requirements of the category.  I go to the added effort to make sure each waymark in those categories have country in the title because that is what I signed up for.

then someone goes to Firehouses and there you can't even have the city, much less state or country!

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:08 PM, vulture1957 said:

then someone goes to Firehouses and there you can't even have the city, much less state or country!

That's why I posted only one waymark in the Firehouses category. I hate (to create) waymarks without City and Country in the title.

When I search for something and get results from different countries and different categories, it's always a pain to differ between the ones that might interest me (waymarks in Europe, where I travel a lot) and those that don't interest me that much at the moment (outside Europe). For example:

When I just search for "Darth Vader", the very first waymark is called "Darth vader at Bones", but "Bones" is not a city, it's a restaurant. No city/country in the title, so my eyes move down a few lines to read "location: Denmark". Great, now I know at least the country. I open the waymark in a new window and read both short and long description. No city. The next step is to zoom out of the map on the right until the name of the city appears - Aalborg. I don't think that I will ever visit Aalborg, so let's go on the next Darth Vader.

The 2nd Darth Vader has "Sanger, TX" in the title. Great! I know that "TX" = Texas, USA. All good. Too far away - next!

The 3rd Darth Vader is called "Darth Vader - Legoland - Lake Wales." - Hmmm, I know that Wales is part of the UK, but "Lake Wales" might be anywhere. Never heard of it, so again I have to look at the Location and it says "Florida". I open the waymark, read the description click on the "Google Maps" link, rightclick next to the pin that I see. The address says "Winter Haven". I open Wikipedia, search for Legoland Florida and they also list Winter Haven, Florida as the location for it. I go back to Google Maps and search for "Lake Wales" and notice that it's a city SW of Winter Haven. Confusing, but ok, I learned something new about Florida.

To make a long story short: Life would be so much easier, if every waymark would have " - City, State/Country" at the end of the title.

38 minutes ago, PISA-caching said:

it's always a pain to differ between the ones that might interest me (waymarks in Europe, where I travel a lot) and those that don't interest me that much at the moment (outside Europe). For example:

If I only wanted my search to show results in a certain country I would indicate that in the search criteria.  I see your point, though, and Europe isn't a country, so...

I understand!

I think there are numerous options besides requiring a country in the title. But I'm smack dab in the middle of a big country, unlike countries Europe, so I can understand your frustration, somewhat.

All you need is 1 in Europe then you can search for nearest like it, at variables up to 200 km. 

Edited by Max and 99
5 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

If I only wanted my search to show results in a certain country I would indicate that in the search criteria.  I see your point, though, and Europe isn't a country, so...

I understand!

I think there are numerous options besides requiring a country in the title. But I'm smack dab in the middle of a big country, unlike countries Europe, so I can understand your frustration, somewhat.

All you need is 1 in Europe then you can search for nearest like it, at variables up to 200 km. 

Just in case you didn't know: Once you searched for something within a radius of 200 km, you will find a parameter "r=200" in the URL. If you change that to a higher number you can increase the radius (up to worldwide).

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, PISA-caching said:

Just in case you didn't know: Once you searched for something within a radius of 200 km, you will find a parameter "r=200" in the URL. If you change that to a higher number you can increase the radius (up to worldwide).

Another good workaround to know! Haha. If I ever search like that, now I'll know! Thanks. 

2 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Thank you very much for that.  I suspect that the r=200 is actually miles.

1 hour ago, fi67 said:

R is indeed miles, and it is not a radius but the half side length of a square.

You could call me curious or suspicious, but I like to check things out. And after some testing I think that it's not "the half side length of a square", but the half length of the diagonal of a square. Tell me, if I'm wrong.

Now (after some more testing) I think we are both wrong and it IS a radius. When I pick one waymark and click on "Nearest Waymarks" and then navigate to the farthest waymarks in the list, I find waymarks that all have the given distance or slightly less, but in various directions. If it were a square, the farthest waymarks would all show up in the 4 corners of the square (no matter if the distance is the half side length or diagonal), no?

Edited by PISA-caching
  • Upvote 1
On December 16, 2019 at 6:07 PM, PISA-caching said:

This is a great new trick for me, one I am already using.  Thank you.

Edited by elyob