How does favoriting caches work?

Lorien99

I searched for an answer to this, but came up with nothing. How does favoriting a cache work? 

I wanted to favorite a cache in the field, but it did not work on my phone (I was using the app). At home, looking at my dashboard on a browser, I see a heart with "5 pts remaining" next to it. I hover over the question mark, and it says, "Logs until your next favorite point: 10. Total favorite points: 5. Only the first Found It log on a cache that you do not own is considered in your Favorite Point total."

As of this writing, I have 40 finds and no hides. I don't own any caches. Apparently, doing the math, I get 1 favorite point per every 10 finds? If I have 5 points and 40 hides, I must have started out with 1 point.

So...do I need points to favorite anything? As in, you need to earn points in order to favorite caches in order to prevent someone from favoriting everything? Or are favorite points a different thing altogeter? It looks like I can favorite the cache from a browser, but I don't want to do something wrong - or change my mind if the next cache I find is an even more awesome hide.

Yes, you need points to favorite anything; you get one point for every 10 finds as a premium member (or events attended or webcam pictures taken).  If you had finds as a basic member prior to getting premium membership, those won't count.

You already found the option to add a point when logging in the browser, it seems.  (You can also just go back to the cache page and click the "Favorite points" box at the top of the page, and it'll give you the option to add a FP and let you know how many you have.) 

From the app, you should see a little green heart at lower left.

• Upvote 1