Unavailable cache locations - is there a wait after an archive?

9Triple3

Hi - I'm a newer cacher :) I've watched a cache location (in the little park outside my doorstep) go from "needs maintenance" to disappear completely. I assume it was archived since there were some DNF's and suspicions that the cache was missing altogether.

The location is unavailable for a new cache when I go into the" hide new cache/check coordinates". The cache does not appear on the regular screen when you're looking for caches to find. I just happened to see it when i first joined, noticed that it was likely missing, then the cache doesn't show at all (so i'm assuming it got archived).

Incidentally, i found another location for a cache a very short drive away, and since there were no caches around, i thought, perfect! But apparently, the coordinates are also unavailable.

So what happens now? Is there a wait before someone can make a new cache for there?  How long can someone sit on the coordinates before they become available again?

Thanks for the help! I did a search in the forums but didn't quite find an answer for this situation.

I've seen new caches pop up within hours of archival of a prior cache, so I don't think there is a time limit.

It is possible that another cache owner has been watching the area (like you have) and they began a cache page for that location in anticipation of the archival. They would have a "place holder" on that location that would block your placement.

• Helpful 1

If someone wants to hide a cache in a location where there is a placeholder listing, my local reviewer gives the placeholder listing 14 days to either hide the cache or archive the listing. 

I had thought about creating a library cache late last year and created a listing, but had trouble getting permission and stopped pursuing it, though the listing stayed active.  Recently the listing received a reviewer note saying that someone wanted to use the spot and I had 14 days to go or no-go.  I still wanted to create the hide and so I contacted the library again, and this time I got permission very easily, and so I was able to hide the cache.

In another case, I had a placeholder listing, and when I received a similar 14 day reviewer note, I decided to give up holding the spot (archiving the listing) as I didn't have a really great cache idea.

I hope this helps.

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, 9Triple3 said:

The cache does not appear on the regular screen when you're looking for caches to find.

Which "regular screen"? in a phone app? if that's the case, consider that the cache may be temporarily disabled, which is NOT the same as archived - and that very likely your phone is set up to show only caches that are Enabled.

Put your proposed cache coords into the Search box

That list will show the cache if it's there and simply disabled.  

The planning map step of Hide a cache will NOT  show you nor warn you of the finals of other caches, or other unpublished caches. If the planning map says the location is unavailable, that means the conflict is with the publicly visible coords of a published cache.

Edited by palmetto
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, palmetto said:

If the planning map says the location is unavailable, that means the conflict is with the publicly visible coords of a published cache.

Further to this, it could also be a physical stage of a Multi or Mystery. While you wouldn't see anything on the map at that particular spot, somewhere there'd be a cache listing with publicly-visible waypoints. Check Multis and Mysteries in the area (within 2 miles if hidden within the last number of years) to see if that's where the respective circle is coming from.

Ah. I looked on the computer (instead of my iphone app) and it's greyed out and says "Temporarily Disable Listing" as of the 8th (of August). Looks like they're giving it 30 days before releasing the coordinates.

I was pretty sure it wasn't part of a multi - but thank you for that info as it helps me understand the system better.

40 minutes ago, 9Triple3 said:

Ah. I looked on the computer (instead of my iphone app) and it's greyed out and says "Temporarily Disable Listing" as of the 8th (of August). Looks like they're giving it 30 days before releasing the coordinates.

I was pretty sure it wasn't part of a multi - but thank you for that info as it helps me understand the system better.

The "Temporarily Disabled Listing" has no hard set time limit. I've personally had a cache TD for over six months one time, waiting on construction at the cache location to be completed.

If the CO (cache owner) of that cache maintains contact with the Reviewer, explaining what is happening with the cache situation, it may be TD for longer than a month.

Good luck, and welcome to the hobby.

If it's the one I think it is, it shouldn't be much longer until it gets archived. That reviewer is usually pretty good about following through with archival soon after the 30 day period elapses. The owner doesn't appear to be active anymore and their profile lists them as being in Germany, so it's pretty unlikely that they'll be fixing the cache in time to prevent it from being archived.

• Helpful 2

Thanks! I'll let you know in Sept ;-P  I looked at the CO's profile and they haven't logged in in two years.

Now, as a courtesy, is it customary in a situation like this to make some sort of comment in the description (say, i get these coordinates and make a new cache) to mention that it's replacing an old one?

8 minutes ago, 9Triple3 said:

Thanks! I'll let you know in Sept ;-P  I looked at the CO's profile and they haven't logged in in two years.

Now, as a courtesy, is it customary in a situation like this to make some sort of comment in the description (say, i get these coordinates and make a new cache) to mention that it's replacing an old one?

You can if you want to, but you certainly don't have to.  It's not really customary, but depends on the circumstances.  I'd say probably not, unless you have a reason that you want to.

• Helpful 2
On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 2:47 PM, NanCycle said:

You can if you want to, but you certainly don't have to.  It's not really customary, but depends on the circumstances.  I'd say probably not, unless you have a reason that you want to.

I agree. Usually you'd only see this if the new cache was a tribute to the old cache (maybe it was a really old or famous cache), but most of the time there's no connection between the old and new caches.

• Helpful 1
On 8/21/2018 at 1:15 PM, Max and 99 said:

I once reserved a spot within 3 minutes of a cache being archived. Someone else did the same, right after me. The reviewer said we each had to provide a good reason why we should get the spot instead of the other person. I was not going to play that game, so I gave up the spot.

Hehe...sorry...this was my first thought when I read that: 

giphy.gif

• Funny 1