How to plan a route

dbrents

I have the coordinates for the start of my route. I have the straight-line distance to the end of my route. I have the direction (in mils) from the start to the finish. The distance is approximately 1/4 of a mile and there is a small body of water between the start and the finish that I'll have to walk around.

Using my 64s is there a way to plan a route that will spot my ending coordinates? Or is there another way. Seems like a pretty simple trig problem but I'm new at Geocaching and this is the first time I've run across this problem.

You might find the visual nature of Basecamp to be invaluable for what you want to do. With Basecamp you will see on the map your waypoints and other markers. Using your mouse you can draw a track line from your starting point around obstacles and so forth and then to your target. Then when you get out in the field you can follow that on your GPS, since the track(s) will show on the GPS screen. On some occasions when the Basecamp/GPS map does not show any of the trails, I have traced over the trail(s) in Google Earth and then imported that into Basecamp to use as a reference on my GPSMAP 64.

I need to clarify.... After reading the responses I don't really need a route but the projected coordinates. If I have the cords then I can easily get to where I need to go as they will be in the middle of a park area - completely accessible.   I can't do the problem with trig formulas but I need the cords of the end location and not a x-y spot on a graph.  So again, I am starting at N-xxxx and W-yyyy. From this starting point, the new cords are 1300 ft in a direction ABC radians.

In order to get to the new cords I'll need to walk around a small lake and through some trees, etc. normal stuff. I will take a look at Basecamp as I am not familiar with it.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, HHL said:
7 hours ago, dbrents said:

After reading the responses I don't really need a route but the projected coordinates.

You should not use such a misleading thread title though. ;-)

Is it possible for the OP to change a thread title?  If so, renaming this one to “How to project coordinates” would be a good idea.