Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
muppix

Pocket Query: recent erroneous DNF?

Recommended Posts

Hey Gang, first post here, be gentle. ;)

 

I'm wondering if it's possible to create a pocket query to show me all those geocaches that I have marked as DNF but that have been found subsequently / recently. Looking back at my list of DNFs, I reckon they can be easily divided into two camps; those that are lost to the mists of time, and those that are still around (and just managed to elude me). 

 

I can set 'I have not found' and 'found in last 7 days' but I really want to intersect that with 'marked by me as DNF' - only I can't. Any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Hmmm... I wonder if after you created a PQ "I have not Found" + "Found in the last 7 days", based on the results you can manually create a List with the caches that you have really DNF'd only? Will save you some time (not much, though).

Edited by RuideAlmeida

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, muppix said:

Hey Gang, first post here, be gentle. ;)

 

I'm wondering if it's possible to create a pocket query to show me all those geocaches that I have marked as DNF but that have been found subsequently / recently. Looking back at my list of DNFs, I reckon they can be easily divided into two camps; those that are lost to the mists of time, and those that are still around (and just managed to elude me). 

 

I can set 'I have not found' and 'found in last 7 days' but I really want to intersect that with 'marked by me as DNF' - only I can't. Any ideas?

Nope, there's no way to do this using Pocket Queries. That system doesn't deal with DNFs in any way. There may be a way to do it using more advanced tools like GSAK, so let us know if you use that and/or are interested in trying it out to see if it can do what you want.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

One thing you might want to consider, especially now when your caching history is not too long, is to create a bookmark list of caches you have DNF'd.  The newer your account, then the easier this task is, because the number of caches is shorter.

 

You can get to your list of DNF logs by going HERE - Dashboard -> Geocache Logs -> Show: Didn't Find It

Then, click on each of these caches and add them to a Bookmark List.  If you don't know how to do this, then just ask.

 

When you view a bookmark list, then you can easily see which ones you have since found, which ones are now disabled/archived, and which ones are still active.

Trying to see which ones have been found by anyone after you DNF'd it is a bit trickier.  You could view the Bookmark List using this URL hack:   https://www.geocaching.com/play/search?bm=BMxxxxx   (replacing BMxxxxx with your DNF bookmark list's code) and then sort by Last Found to see which ones have been found recently, but nothing would indicate if that Last Found date was before or after your DNF date.

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Expanding on the post by noncentric.

 

Once you've created the bookmark list take following steps:

  • Create a pocket query from the bookmark list.
  • Run the pocket query and there will be an option to sort by "last found" date.
  • Delete the ones that are no longer needed from your bookmark list to keep it manageable.

To reiterate what others have said, using GASK makes this a lot easier, but that's not what you asked.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, badlands said:

Expanding on the post by noncentric.

 

Once you've created the bookmark list take following steps:

  • Create a pocket query from the bookmark list.
  • Run the pocket query and there will be an option to sort by "last found" date.
  • Delete the ones that are no longer needed from your bookmark list to keep it manageable.

To reiterate what others have said, using GASK makes this a lot easier, but that's not what you asked.

All above and especially the bolded. And so easy to do, too!   

Share this post


Link to post

Well, I guess the 'notify me of replies' option doesn't email me then. Sorry about my late response, and thanks for all the suggestions!

 

In my naivety I had assumed that the date I log a DNF would be a queryable datapoint just like the last found date, but I guess not. I'm still fairly new to this, and the instructions featuring bookmark lists etc sound quite daunting. Well, not daunting, but the kind of process that I know will fall clean out of my head if I don't do it regularly enough, and being new here I'm not yet sure how likely that is.

 

GSAK might also be useful if I had more mental bandwidth available ... and wasn't using a Mac. Then again, that UI. [shudder] :P

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, muppix said:

In my naivety I had assumed that the date I log a DNF would be a queryable datapoint just like the last found date, but I guess not

 

Unfortunately, no.  But if you click here, it'll at least give you all your DNF logs, from most recent to least.

 

While that will not show you whether you have subsequently found them or not, or when they were last found, it will at least show you which ones are active (blue link), which ones are disabled (blue link with strikethrough), and which ones are archived (red link with strikethrough).  So you can at least concentrate on the active geocaches and go from there.

 

The DNF log list will also show which caches you have given a favorite point - so you can at least eliminate those that you've subsequently found and given a favorite point to.

 

It also lists out which state the caches are in.  So if you're looking to go back for caches you've previously DNF'd, you can focus on the ones that are in your area, if you're trying to go back and relook caches you've previously DNF'd (I assume that's your intent).

 

Keep in mind the map also now shows DNFs as well.  So if you're trying to focus just on caches you have DNF'd, do a pocket query for caches found in the last seven days, that you haven't found, and then display them on the map.  If you've DNF'd them and they are active, they'll show up as blue faces.  And if you've DNF'd them and they're disabled, they'll show up as greyed out blue faces.  (Or not at all, if you set the PQ for found in last 7 days, that you haven't found, and that are enabled.)

 

Hope that gives you some options outside of GSAK.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Some excellent options there @hzoi - many thanks for taking the time to list them for me! Gonna be a case of trial-and-error to see which I end up with.

 

Those of us who have been around since the early days of the internet will recognise the roots of Geocaching in the way some of these features are designed, I'm sure. Not to mention trying to use the site via WiFi on a cruise boat. But I digress ... :)

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1

×