Portland is best known for.....

Lazyboy & Mitey Mite

While I agree we hae the best cachers, I just had to throw a vote in for our geobabes!

The traffic option shouldn't even be mentioned, imo. Having grown up in the metro Washing, D.C. area, second only to Los Angeles with regards to horrendous traffic conditions, I have no problems with traffic here. Even in rush hour I can get from one side of Portland to the other in less than an hour. To me that's a cakewalk.

I recall getting stuck on the capitol beltway (495) one day where it took 3 hours to move less than one mile between two exits. Then another 4 hours to get the rest of the way home (10 miles or so). Average commute to work every day was 90 minutes each way.

I'll take Portlands traffic anyday icon_smile.gif

-

While I agree we hae the best cachers, I just had to throw a vote in for our geobabes!

The traffic option shouldn't even be mentioned, imo. Having grown up in the metro Washing, D.C. area, second only to Los Angeles with regards to horrendous traffic conditions, I have no problems with traffic here. Even in rush hour I can get from one side of Portland to the other in less than an hour. To me that's a cakewalk.

I recall getting stuck on the capitol beltway (495) one day where it took 3 hours to move less than one mile between two exits. Then another 4 hours to get the rest of the way home (10 miles or so). Average commute to work every day was 90 minutes each way.

I'll take Portlands traffic anyday icon_smile.gif

-

Doug and I lived in Seattle for 3.5 years beginning about 11 years ago. Seattle's rush hour traffic even then seemed to be at least twice what Portland's is at its current worst. No matter what time of day or night you went somewhere, there was always traffic.

I haven't been to Seattle since moving back to Portland about 8 years ago, and have no desire to to go back except to see Bruce and Brandon Lee's graves. Doug has been back a few times to attend a Mariner's game.

Doug and I are very grateful for Max and Portland's award-winning bus system. Doug takes Max to work downtown. We take Max to Rose Garden concerts and basketball games. I bet many Seattle leaders and residents wish they had the foresight to have implemented a lightrail system years ago.

We Portland residents are fortunate indeed; plus we have such spectacular caches within an hour's drive of the city! The best of both worlds!

I just had to go with the best cachers option although traffic was a close second, since I moved to Portland from Grant County (eastern Oregon) which has only one stoplight in the entire county! Of course, I was always out of place,a little Toyota Corolla amongst all those 4wd pickups with gunracks and dogs in the back. icon_biggrin.gif

However, I'd have to add one more choice to the poll-most Berkenstock sales per capita. icon_wink.gif

I just had to go with the best cachers option although traffic was a close second, since I moved to Portland from Grant County (eastern Oregon) which has only one stoplight in the entire county! Of course, I was always out of place,a little Toyota Corolla amongst all those 4wd pickups with gunracks and dogs in the back. icon_biggrin.gif

However, I'd have to add one more choice to the poll-most Berkenstock sales per capita. icon_wink.gif

I lived in Forest Grove for 6 years, and I never saw the sun from October thru March in any of those years. Of course, RAIN may be too strong a word, it was actually just a CONSTANT DRIZZLE.

Depressing. Some people say it's nice because you can use fancy colorful umbrellas to accent your wardrobe, and it is always cool enough to wear nice fashionable suits and sweaters and such.

I say, "Rain. Ptooey!"

7047_200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Peanuthead:

I lived in Forest Grove for 6 years, and I never saw the sun from October thru March in any of those years. Of course, RAIN may be too strong a word, it was actually just a CONSTANT DRIZZLE.

Depressing. Some people say it's nice because you can use fancy colorful umbrellas to accent your wardrobe, and it is always cool enough to wear nice fashionable suits and sweaters and such.

Peanuthead,

#1 Dasein doesn't use umbrellas.

#2 Dasein doesn't wear suits or sweaters, but t-shirts and shorts 365, unless we go up to the mountains or stinging nettles are involved.

#3 We love where we live, and that includes the weather. Granted, it's not for everyone.

#5 Not for *us*: tornados, hurricanes, 110-degree heat, huge earthquakes (although the big one's a-comin'), weeks living in a deep-freeze. Yet more reasons why we choose to live here. Oh, how we wish it would snow more on the valley floor, however.

#6 While we do appreciate your valid opinion, we wished to share just a few reasons why we both thoroughly enjoy living here in the great (north) Willamette Valley.

Thanks, Peanuthead for helping us recount the ways! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Peanuthead:

Peanuthead,

#1 Dasein doesn't use umbrellas.

#2 Dasein doesn't wear suits or sweaters, but t-shirts and shorts 365, unless we go up to the mountains or stinging nettles are involved.

#3 We love where we live, and that includes the weather. Granted, it's not for everyone.

#5 Not for *us*: tornados, hurricanes, 110-degree heat, huge earthquakes (although the big one's a-comin'), weeks living in a deep-freeze. Yet more reasons why we choose to live here. Oh, how we wish it would snow more on the valley floor, however.

#6 While we do appreciate your valid opinion, we wished to share just a few reasons why we both thoroughly enjoy living here in the great (north) Willamette Valley.

Thanks, Peanuthead for helping us recount the ways! icon_smile.gif

You've ever stepped on a slug in your bare feet.

You are expert at seperating the glued pages of your daily wet newspaper.

You see at least 10 different species of wild mushrooms and fungi every day, in or around your home, work and most DEFINATELY your caching haunts.

You laugh at people who use umbrellas, thinking them... well... weak.

You own an assortment of boots, each in various states of mud cakeage. In the few weeks of summer, you actually wear this mud coating off, but it doesn't take long to accumulate back on.

You may even have a room in your house referred to as "the mud room" for taking off and putting on boots and coats.

You have scars from blackberry vines that deceived you. You thought you could walk there, that it was solid...instead you fell into a mire of briars.

You have had barbed wire catch the crotch of your pants/shorts and know that undeniable moment of fear. You've also become intimate with an electric fence at some point.

You've caught crawdads and know how to prepare them.

You don't have to dig for earthworms to go fishing.

You rescue those orange and black fuzzy wuzzy caterpillars, take them out of harms way... just cuz they are so dadgum cute.

You can live for weeks with little or no sunshine.

You know the exact mixture of temperature and humidity that will cause good snowball snow.

You have crossed a river on a cable ferry.

You know what a nutria is.

You know where all the best "swimmin' holes" are from Portland to Eugene.

You know where all the best spots are for obtaining good beer, good coffee, good music and good books (woo-hoo POWELLS!).

any more????

I'd say the Public Transportation is easily the best part of Portland. Seriously, I can get from Hillsboro out to the outskirts of Gresham, down to Oregon City, up to Vancouver, or anywhere in between for only $1.55. That's pretty dang sweet. I've had people ask me while I was walking downtown, "How do I get a taxi? There's none to wave down?." I ask them where they're going and they'd say something like, "Oh, we're going to the Zoo." Of course, I'd just tell them to jump on the MAX train, and for about $1, it'll take you right there, and the buses will take you basically anywhere else for the same price" Then they're always like, "Wow, really? It would cost $18 in a taxi to get there where I'm from."

Anyways, yeah, the public transportation system deserves to be highly recognized. I've heard that it's the best system in the United States.

As for rain, STATISTICALLY only HALF the days of the year (180-190) have measurable amounts of rain. That's not too bad if you ask me.

buneatg.gifI am the Rabbit King, I can do anything

Though it greens everything up, I don't miss it at all. I think I have that seasonal whatever disorder, grey skies make me feel all blue and unmotivated. All I need to do to get my fill is go home for the holidays, spend a week in the mud in the valley and I am ready to be back in Central Oregon! Besides, you guys don't have all these cool lava rocks to hide caches under! They actually GROW around here, ask any farmer! :-)