cache idea....

Spence-_-Man

Hi all! I have made a cache... its a camo painted PVC pipe with end cap and screw cap on top. I have purposely made a smaller version of it so slide inside which carries the log book etc. I have done this to add another element to the cache to make it more 'fun' as you CANT put your hand in to get it out. I want a challenge for the smaller logbook container to come out. I am thinking of having the main PVC fixed somewhere so it cant be tipped upside down and put a magnet/metal on the top of the logbook container inside to retrieve it with another magnet. (I have spare wooden rod I can glue a magnet to the end)

I just wanted more of a gadget cache idea..

What are my options with this cache?
*Do you think I should just attach the magnet tool to the back of the PVC to hide it as a traditional?
*Or when people unscrew the top cap and realize they cant retrieve the logbook container, I have co-ordinates for the tool or hints to the tools location near by? and then would I have to submit it as a Multi?
What are you guys thinking I should do with this?

I've seen caches similar to that where the magnet was provided (for example, a multi-cache where the magnet is at stage 1 and the final is located nearby).

I've seen caches similar to that where seekers had to bring their own magnet or magnetic tool. A mechanic's magnetic grabbing tool is often considered a TOTT (tool of the trade) by geocachers.

There are "rain guage" caches that look very similar to what you described, except a floating cache is retrieved by filling the PVC pipe with water. You might want to add drain holes to yours.

And be sure you don't damage anything when you secure the pipe. When you're done, you should be able to remove all the "game pieces" with no lasting damage to the area.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, niraD said:

I've seen caches similar to that where the magnet was provided (for example, a multi-cache where the magnet is at stage 1 and the final is located nearby).

Although this may seem like a good idea, sooner or later the magnet will not be returned to its proper location.

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

Although this may seem like a good idea, sooner or later the magnet will not be returned to its proper location.

I've seen cases like this work, when the two stages are close to each other, or when finders have to pass the first stage on the way back to the trailhead or parking. But yeah, this is a situation where it would be good to have replacements on hand.

We've seen a lot of these hides and probably around 50/50 whether it was "float-to-the-top", or magnet retrieve.  All we've found are archived.  Maintenance.

We saw quite a few older water pipe hides pulled outta the ground, and sorta replaced (newer hides not in the ground, but dumped),  I wouldn't assume that it will remain  " fixed somewhere so it cant be tipped upside down".  Like NanCycle, we've also seen "tools" not replaced even when people had to pass the stage that held it.  Realize that people are involved...   :) 

Similar to niraD, since all now should know caches aren't buried, I'd be sure that whatever I attach my pipe to  is included with my permission.    

I'd put a strong magnet with the log, and simply write "bring a bolt. hex cap screw, or large nut, and (whatever length) of string with you" on the cache page, making them responsible for a gizmo.   A proper D rating with the "gadget" attribute might be noticed as well. 

- But there's that one guy who shows up with a 316 stainless hex cap screw, magnet won't draw, and it's "rigged" because they gotta have that smiley.     :D

11 hours ago, Spence-_-Man said:

I just wanted more of a gadget cache idea..

Now I really regret not having taken a picture, but recently while climbing a mountain trail, I found a cache hidden under some sagebrush. Although the real cache was just a nano, it was inside of some PVC contraption that was no more than a couple feet wide. It was made from 1-inch PVC pipe with multiple elbows and joints. With mulitple routes to roll the nano like a marble inside, it took about 5 or 10 minutes to manipulate it in the right direction to get the nano to roll out. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Team Christiansen said:

Now I really regret not having taken a picture, but recently while climbing a mountain trail, I found a cache hidden under some sagebrush. Although the real cache was just a nano, it was inside of some PVC contraption that was no more than a couple feet wide. It was made from 1-inch PVC pipe with multiple elbows and joints. With mulitple routes to roll the nano like a marble inside, it took about 5 or 10 minutes to manipulate it in the right direction to get the nano to roll out. 

The nano's not a bad idea.  Small enough, and can hear it moving too.  :)  

We found one similar that had a film can inside the tubing, and with all the glue joints and elbows, that container didn't cut it.    IIRC, it ended up with many just dropping the film can straight in without waving it , so those later could  just  tilt n dump. 

16 hours ago, Team Christiansen said:

Sounds nice. How difficult was it to put the nano back in place? 

On 4/27/2018 at 6:23 AM, Tungstène said:

Sounds nice. How difficult was it to put the nano back in place? 

One of the pipes had a screw in and out plug. You tilt and rotate until the nano rolls out. Once you sign log, just roll, tilt and rotate the nano back in. Sorry I didn't take a picture, but I thought it was pretty cool and gave it a favorite point.