TB Owner deletes all Discovers and Visits.

8Nuts MotherGoose

I have a friend who was unable to attend an Event due to a family crisis at the last moment. He had already logged several TBs into the Event. He asked me to deliver them to the Event, which I did. I also wrote the tracking codes down and posted a Discovered on each.

Two days later, I received notice that my log on one TB had been deleted. I contacted the TB Owner and asked why. I received no response. Looking at the TB logs, I see that there are no Discovers or Visits. There are only Placed and Retrieved logs.

Are owners allowed to delete logs as they choose? I know when a TB is purchased from someone, the new owner can delete all logs, but this TB has not changed owners.

Trackables belong to the owners, and as much of a pain-in-the-can some can be, their actions are final.

There's tons of gripe threads started about both Discover and Visit.  The TO can delete logs they don't want, and most say that's just what they do.  A shame, but abuse by some have sorta ruined it for many.  Code sheets, code sharing sites, and stats (I feel) did this.

One stated they delete Discover logs on their trackables brought to events.  A few times now, if the TO didn't at least look at my Discover log, they wouldn't have even known that it either wasn't there,  stolen from a cache, or missing, with it's code just on a paper sheet with others.

• Upvote 2
18 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

I delete logs on my owned trackables before selling them on eBay. It seems they bring more with a clean tracking history. Bottom line, they are my property to do as I wish with. ;)

FWIW I tend to make thoughtful "retrieve" and "dropped" logs of travelers and usually I will post photos from the trackable in a corresponding environment. So I would be quite pissed if an owner decides to delete my part of the history of his trackable.

On the other hand and referring to the OP I'm very frustrated about the actual (over)usage of "took it/visit" and "discovery" logs. So if the TB-owner makes it clear that she does not welcome those logtypes I very much support the deletion of those.

On 3/15/2018 at 0:40 PM, Manville Possum said:

I delete logs on my owned trackables before selling them on eBay. It seems they bring more with a clean tracking history. Bottom line, they are my property to do as I wish with. ;)

Interesting. Groundspeak says that the geocaches I place are my property too. I doubt they would let me delete all found it logs if I let someone else adopt one of my caches.

On 16/03/2018 at 10:23 PM, Hynz said:

FWIW I tend to make thoughtful "retrieve" and "dropped" logs of travelers and usually I will post photos from the trackable in a corresponding environment. So I would be quite pissed if an owner decides to delete my part of the history of his trackable.

On the other hand and referring to the OP I'm very frustrated about the actual (over)usage of "took it/visit" and "discovery" logs. So if the TB-owner makes it clear that she does not welcome those logtypes I very much support the deletion of those.

Does the deletion of visits affect mileage?