Alterations to logs

bmwman

I hope that this is in the correct place, my apologies if not.

If a user makes alterations to one of their previous log entries, or deletes a former entry entirely, (if deletions are possible), does a record exist of those actions, and/or is the original entry, or entries, still viewable, albeit by a moderator/administrator?

John

29 minutes ago, bmwman said:

I hope that this is in the correct place, my apologies if not.

If a user makes alterations to one of their previous log entries, or deletes a former entry entirely, (if deletions are possible), does a record exist of those actions, and/or is the original entry, or entries, still viewable, albeit by a moderator/administrator?

John

log deletion is possible, and deleted logs remain on the servers and are viewable by the Groundspeak lackeys. I don't know whether all edits are also available on the servers thought.

Editing logs used to generate a tag, " This entry was edited by Username on Day of Week, Date Month Year at Hour Minute  UTC" 

They no longer do. This happened when the old BBC code used for logs was phased out.

I suspect that the to/from info on log edits is not retained.

You can see your own archived logs, IF you save the URL. Any non-admin user with that same URL will see "you cannot read archived log entries unless you are logged in and own the listing or log entry". 

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I've had a quick look at project-gc, and just in time too, they suspended it for maintenance about 5 mins after I got there.

However, I won't be using it for now, because it seems that it doesn't like the fact that I have an ad blocker installed - I haven't, as it happens, but my web browser has, that's why I use that particular one, I like my screen to be cluttered up with what I choose to look at, not other peoples junk.

Also, it seems that it's tied up with "Facebook", which I definitely don't use!

If my need to get the information gets greater, then I'll contact the big cheeses at HQ.

29 minutes ago, bmwman said:

I've had a quick look at project-gc,

To clarify a little: Project-gc doesn't keep deleted logs, so you couldn't log on now and look at something that was deleted/changed last week. What it does is provides the ability to sign up to be notified when someone changes a log in future, so you would get an Email each time that happens; however that is a "premium" feature on Project-GC and so is only available to people who pay for Project-GC membership. 

One other option, if you really care about it, might be to create a PQ for your caches and run it daily, which will include the latest logs, and just store them somewhere, it is possible to script automatically downloading the .gpx file from the PQ notification mail.

The thing about the ad-blocker  on Project-GC is to allow them to generate some income from the non-paying members by serving ads - it's the only site I have white listed for ads as I think they deserve to earn something for the service they provide for free. 

• Upvote 2
40 minutes ago, bmwman said:

However, I won't be using it for now, because it seems that it doesn't like the fact that I have an ad blocker installed - I haven't, as it happens, but my web browser has, that's why I use that particular one, I like my screen to be cluttered up with what I choose to look at, not other peoples junk.

Also, it seems that it's tied up with "Facebook", which I definitely don't use!

If you pay for PGC membership, you will not see those adverticements. To get log change notifications you have to be a member anyway. Problem solved.

When I started to use this service I also got notifications from older log changes before I started to use this service.

I am not member of Facebook and I have not noticed any connection needed to Facebook. I think that geocaching.com is more tightly connected to Facebook than PGC. :)

I have discovered the original entry does still exist - it is in the gallery of the trackable; in this case, a rather handsome Geocoin that was taken by a "player" some 16 or so months ago, and although he has admitted to me, by Email, that he still has it, he doesn't seem to want to either let it continue its wanderings, or send it to me as an "Amnesty Item".

Actions like this leave a bitter taste with me.

I have printed off a screen grab of the original, and of the modified, (falsified, perhaps?), entries.

John