Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
barefootjeff

Buried cache

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

No, this is not what you're thinking. GC6Y0R7 wasn't buried when I placed it underneath the right-hand oblong rock in the centre of the "before" image, but it sure is now!

Rockfall.jpg

Just be glad that there wasn't a geocacher searching for it "During" the burial.

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

No, this is not what you're thinking. GC6Y0R7 wasn't buried when I placed it underneath the right-hand oblong rock in the centre of the "before" image, but it sure is now!

Rockfall.jpg

What's the scale of that block? I thought it was some 40cm, but seeing the damage it's probably more in the range of a few meters?

Share this post


Link to post
57 minutes ago, terratin said:

What's the scale of that block? I thought it was some 40cm, but seeing the damage it's probably more in the range of a few meters?

The large block on the left would be about a metre high and about three metres long.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Just be glad that there wasn't a geocacher searching for it "During" the burial.

Yes indeed. It's pretty sobering to think I was sitting there just a few weeks back doing a quick check after that DNF in November. At least there were no trackables in it so all I've lost is a plastic box and the logbook.

I'm a bit surprised it happened there as it's inside the cave so not subject to rocks coming down the cliff-face and that part of the cave isn't being undercut by wave action. From the other photos seaeagles1997 sent me, some very big rocks have come down just right of GZ so it would've been a pretty loud bump in the night for the people living on top of the cliff.

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Yes indeed. It's pretty sobering to think I was sitting there just a few weeks back doing a quick check after that DNF in November. 

Forum thread avoided: "Cache Health Notifications could be fatal!"

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, Keystone said:
53 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Yes indeed. It's pretty sobering to think I was sitting there just a few weeks back doing a quick check after that DNF in November. 

Forum thread avoided: "Cache Health Notifications could be fatal!"

This is a photo I took when I was there on the 28th of November. I hadn't noticed at the time, but now comparing it to my "Before" photo that I took when I hid it just on a year ago, there's a lot more rubble just in front of the blocks so it must have been getting close to letting go. Scary.

 

20171128_104425.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Ambrosia said:

It looks like a beautiful area. I'd be happy to find a cache there.

 

Yes, I plan to go out there with a replacement later in the week when low tide is around midday and suss out a new hiding place away from any freshly fallen rock. There's a nice fish shop nearby at Avoca too :omnomnom:.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Yes, I plan to go out there with a replacement later in the week when low tide is around midday and suss out a new hiding place away from any freshly fallen rock. There's a nice fish shop nearby at Avoca too :omnomnom:.

But.... if you choose a spot where there ISN'T freshly fallen rock, doesn't that mean that there's rock just WAITING to fall? :bad:

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

The large block on the left would be about a metre high and about three metres long.

Ok, that WAS a big bang then :) Odd, the rock looks like very finely laminated lime mud or something like that :D

Share this post


Link to post

I had a similar problem a few years ago at a cache I was looking for.  When I arrived at GZ, I saw this.  And there are numerous small outcrops and rock piles in the area.  I made a search, but the large rock in the center seemed too big to move as a hiding place, and the rock fall looked fresh.  I didn't make the find, but sent this photo to the CO, asking for hint.  His response was that the cache was buried under the rock fall. 

 

Joe

IMG_0103S.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

With low tide at a civilised hour, I visited the cache site this morning and it looks like GZ was ground-zero for the rock fall, with a metre-high pile of rubble directly above the container. No hope of digging it out so I've placed a new container in a spot just outside the cave.

Helper.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1

×