Previous DNF's that now have smileys

raritan

How do I identify DNF's as found.  After I go back and actually make the find on a previous DNF the cache still shows up in the "Didn't Find" list on the geocaching.com site.  As it should - but it is aggravating and time consuming to go into each one to find out if they have been found after I posted my DNF log.  Just wondering if there is some way to identify or remove cleared up caches on the "didn't find" list.

3 minutes ago, raritan said:

Thanks JohnCNA.  But I did actually have a DNF the first time so I do not want to delete the log.  Thanks anyway.

I agree with that sentiment.  It sounds like there is a design flaw in how the list is treated.  Once a DNF is logged, it should remain part of the cache history, but there is little, if any, value in retaining it on a DNF list.

19 hours ago, GeoTrekker26 said:

It sounds like there is a design flaw in how the list is treated.  Once a DNF is logged, it should remain part of the cache history, but there is little, if any, value in retaining it on a DNF list.

It's not a design flaw.  The list is functioning exactly as intended: it's a list of your DNF logs.  Unless you delete the logs, there's no reason for them to just vanish, is there?

If you want to track the caches that you have not found and remove those you find as you find them, make a bookmark list, like TriciaG's.

3 hours ago, hzoi said:

It's not a design flaw.  The list is functioning exactly as intended: it's a list of your DNF logs.  Unless you delete the logs, there's no reason for them to just vanish, is there?

This is one of those conversations where I get new ideas about how use the system.

i don't see any reason to have a list of DNF logs unless it is a tool to remind me what I encountered on my DNF visit; info that might be useful on my revisit. The need for that info vanishes when I make the find so there is no reason to retain the data, in fact keeping it obscures the info I still need. 

Obviuosly there are other reasons to keep it not for the way I would tend to use it 

Now if I need for rhe replacement surgery I had today so I can try it first hand (first knee?).  LOL

19 minutes ago, GeoTrekker26 said:

i don't see any reason to have a list of DNF logs unless it is a tool to remind me what I encountered on my DNF visit...

To be clear, there isn't just a list of your DNF logs. It's a list of all your logs, with options to break it down by the many log types.
all_logs.PNG

It isn't really intended as a to-do list for avenging DNFs.

1 hour ago, GeoTrekker26 said:

i don't see any reason to have a list of DNF logs unless it is a tool to remind me what I encountered on my DNF visit; info that might be useful on my revisit. The need for that info vanishes when I make the find so there is no reason to retain the data, in fact keeping it obscures the info I still need. 

There are so many different ways I use the list of DNF logs that it is largely irrelevant whether or not I subsequently found the cache.

3 hours ago, The A-Team said:

To be clear, there isn't just a list of your DNF logs. It's a list of all your logs, with options to break it down by the many log types.
all_logs.PNG

It isn't really intended as a to-do list for avenging DNFs.

I thought it was a standalone list so I can see why it doesn't and shouldn't auto delete any log. 

Thanks for the info!

On 9/17/2017 at 2:45 PM, raritan said:

How do I identify DNF's as found.  After I go back and actually make the find on a previous DNF the cache still shows up in the "Didn't Find" list on the geocaching.com site.  As it should - but it is aggravating and time consuming to go into each one to find out if they have been found after I posted my DNF log.  Just wondering if there is some way to identify or remove cleared up caches on the "didn't find" list.

On 9/17/2017 at 3:00 PM, raritan said:

Thanks JohnCNA.  But I did actually have a DNF the first time so I do not want to delete the log.  Thanks anyway.

I'm curious what the OP is trying to accomplish with their request.

Are you trying to see a "caches that I found after previously DNF'ing them"?  If so, then creating a bookmark list of caches where you've logged a DNF will work. When you view your bookmark list on the website, the caches that you've found will be highlighted grey and have a smiley face next to them. You'd also be able to view your DNF bookmark list on the official app, where you'll also see smileys on those you've found and you can view the DNF caches on a map view. In the app's map view, the DNF caches you've found will have smiley icons while those that you still haven't found (and haven't been archived) will have blue frowney icons.