Puzzle cache question

31BMSG

I'm stuck. I've researched puzzle caches for the last two days and now I'm in the process of submitting an initial/coordinate check for review. I have 3 sets of coordinates, bogus, virtual, and the actual cache location. I have "final location" as the cache type for the cache location but this posts the cache location on the cache page even though the "hide waypoint" button is chosen.

My next attempt will be:

1. Bogus - final location
  2. Virtual - virtual
  3. Cache location - physical

What am I missing? Any advice would be appreciated.

22 minutes ago, 31BMSG said:

I'm stuck. I've researched puzzle caches for the last two days and now I'm in the process of submitting an initial/coordinate check for review. I have 3 sets of coordinates, bogus, virtual, and the actual cache location. I have "final location" as the cache type for the cache location but this posts the cache location on the cache page even though the "hide waypoint" button is chosen.

My next attempt will be:

1. Bogus - final location
  2. Virtual - virtual
  3. Cache location - physical

What am I missing? Any advice would be appreciated.

When you originally chose your cache type, you didn't choose "traditional" did you? You needed to click "show additional geocache types" and select "mystery". You would then be able to enter the final coordinates. You need to click "add a stage" right away, though, and then the "container location-final coordinates" you enter should automatically be "hide completely". Unless you clicked "add a stage", the drop down for "hide completely" is not available.

If you've already entered everything and want to edit, you can "edit waypoints" and correct the visibility, but that sounds like the confusion you're in now. If that's the case, it might be easier and less confusing just to start from scratch. For a simple puzzle, there are the published (virtual - visible) coordinates, and the final (physical - hidden) coordinates. 

Oh... just to be extra confusing... keep in mind that if you've hit "show hidden waypoints", the final will appear to you, as CO, even though invisible to others.  :lol:

Edited by skramble
elaboration

I may just start this all over. I did select mystery and entered the cache location but did not notice the cache location was posted on the cache page until I entered the other stages. It seems if you edit the stages individually it doesn't change the coordinates posted on the cache page, I had to go back and edit the main cache page in order to change the posted coordinates, I do want the bogus coordinates to be published on the cache page correct?

Like I said, I think I will start over on this thing. The cache page looks correct but I'm afraid I went down the rabbit hole to get that result. 

15 minutes ago, 31BMSG said:

I may just start this all over. I did select mystery and entered the cache location but did not notice the cache location was posted on the cache page until I entered the other stages. It seems if you edit the stages individually it doesn't change the coordinates posted on the cache page, I had to go back and edit the main cache page in order to change the posted coordinates, I do want the bogus coordinates to be published on the cache page correct?

Like I said, I think I will start over on this thing. The cache page looks correct but I'm afraid I went down the rabbit hole to get that result. 

No, you do not want the bogus (virtual, final) coordinates on the cache page. That's the whole point of the puzzle, no?

5 minutes ago, skramble said:

No, you do not want the bogus (virtual, final) coordinates on the cache page. That's the whole point of the puzzle, no?

Shoot, now I'm confusing myself... yes, you DO want the fake coordinates published, but not the real.

Here's where you should be starting...

Capture.thumb.JPG.afbd09e6e03c2df43b57610b4fcc5162.JPG

...then change Stage 1 to Virtual.

Edited by skramble

Thanks, I have an early start in the morning so this is on the back burner for now. I started out on that page but must have inadvertently hit the "alternative universe" link and got lost. I'll try again in the next day or two and report back.  

Working with the current version of the cache report form, select type Mystery. You'll be asked for your FINAL coords FIRST. And they'll be Visible by default, because with only 1 set of coords, they must be.

BUT, if you select ADD A STAGE, you'll have the screen in Skrambles post above. From that screen, the form makes more sense.

5988467a01164_MysteryADDStage.jpg.2b8eaeab9572d87bad83f3b9eaecaa09.jpg

Another way to go: start fresh, Select TRADITIONAL cache - put your bogus coords as cache coords - they'll be PHYSICAL by default (hey, it's a Trad). SAVE.

Now work from the edit page.

The current EDIT page is a lot cleaner.  From the edit page, change cache type, add final, remember to alter the listing coords to Virtual (I think this a check box near the coords pane).  Text etc. The edit page has no html editor, but I don't like the built in editor anyway, so I consider this no loss.

Edited by Isonzo Karst