Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Soaring Eagle 7

Yellow Dot on Android APP Menu

Recommended Posts

OK, so I am going to sound stupid but...

 

Can anyone tell me what the yellow dot on the menu (3 horizontal bars, upper left screen) on the Geocaching app means? It just appeared on my app and I don't recall seeing it before. I have no messages and no drafts. I did do some caching offline and I think my finds and notes updated. So, call my dumb and straighten me out. ;-)

 

I did try to look this up, but the only reference to yellow dots I can find are on the online badge area. What am I missing?

 

Thanks

SE7

Share this post


Link to post

OK, so I am going to sound stupid but...

 

Can anyone tell me what the yellow dot on the menu (3 horizontal bars, upper left screen) on the Geocaching app means? It just appeared on my app and I don't recall seeing it before. I have no messages and no drafts.

 

Hmmm, I see the yellow dot you speak of, but I also have three drafts/field notes that I have not yet "resolved", and it also appears when I have messages that I have not opened. It does seem (in my experience) to sync with gc.com on my laptop. The yellow dot disappears when all my messages are read, and when my field notes are logged or otherwise dealt with.

 

I haven't seen it for anything other than unread messages or drafts pending ... hmmmm ... sorry I can't be more help.

Share this post


Link to post

Check your lists on the website.

 

I had an issue before where I had drafts listed, but not accessible in the app.

I could see numbers of drafts pending, but it was like the App could not see the data - despite the drafts being created in the app.

 

Clearing them out via the website seemed to sync the app and the yellow dot went away.

 

I never really got to the bottom of how it all happened.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks to all for your replies. I resolved the yellow dot issue, but not sure why it was there. The yellow dot appeared after I had been caching in the brush, offline and then returned to civilization and cell service. There were no drafts on either the app nor on the geo.com site. However, the 4 lists seemed to be out of sync. I was done with the lists, so I deleted them on the GC site and on the app and restarted my phone and the dot is gone. Still not sure exactly what the app was thinking/doing, but its OK now.

 

Thanks again. Maybe GC app has a bug?

 

SE7

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks to all for your replies. I resolved the yellow dot issue, but not sure why it was there. The yellow dot appeared after I had been caching in the brush, offline and then returned to civilization and cell service. There were no drafts on either the app nor on the geo.com site. However, the 4 lists seemed to be out of sync. I was done with the lists, so I deleted them on the GC site and on the app and restarted my phone and the dot is gone. Still not sure exactly what the app was thinking/doing, but its OK now.

 

Thanks again. Maybe GC app has a bug?

 

SE7

 

The yellow notification dot is also displayed when you have one or more offline lists that are "out of sync" (i.e. you've saved the list for offline use, but you no longer have the most current data available). If you have any out of sync lists, the number will be shown in parentheses after the Lists item in the nav menu and the list itself will have a refresh icon next to it on the Lists screen. If the yellow notification dot is showing because you have out of sync lists, you can resolve it by refreshing the list's offline data or removing the list's offline data. Hope that helps!

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks Ben and others for responses. I thought the offline list/yellow dot issue was resolved, but today the yellow dot is back on my Android GC app. I was not offline and have no offline lists on the app nor on the GC site. I deleted all my lists back on July 3 when I wrote the above post re the yellow dot and offline lists. I haven no messages, no lists, no drafts, nothing. I was out caching using the app. As far as I can tell the app had internet connection the entire time. No offline lists were used. The only thing that happened today was I acquired a new souvenir. I restarted the phone after I got back, but the dreaded yellow dot is still there.

So, why the yellow dot? Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks.

SE7

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Soaring Eagle 7 said:

Thanks Ben and others for responses. I thought the offline list/yellow dot issue was resolved, but today the yellow dot is back on my Android GC app. I was not offline and have no offline lists on the app nor on the GC site. I deleted all my lists back on July 3 when I wrote the above post re the yellow dot and offline lists. I haven no messages, no lists, no drafts, nothing. I was out caching using the app. As far as I can tell the app had internet connection the entire time. No offline lists were used. The only thing that happened today was I acquired a new souvenir. I restarted the phone after I got back, but the dreaded yellow dot is still there.

So, why the yellow dot? Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks.

SE7

Since my last post, we released version 5.6 of the app which included souvenirs. If you've got 5.6 installed then the Android menu will also be badged with the yellow dot when you earn a new souvenir. You can clear it by opening the menu, tapping view profile at the top (which should also have a yellow dot), then viewing your souvenirs. Hope that does the trick for you!

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Ben H said:

Since my last post, we released version 5.6 of the app which included souvenirs. If you've got 5.6 installed then the Android menu will also be badged with the yellow dot when you earn a new souvenir. You can clear it by opening the menu, tapping view profile at the top (which should also have a yellow dot), then viewing your souvenirs. Hope that does the trick for you!

Thanks Ben. That seems to have worked. I thought I had done that while out in the field as that's how I discovered the new souvenir, but at my age who knows. The dot is gone for now and hopefully that's the end of it.

Thanks for all your help.

SE7

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Soaring Eagle 7 said:

Thanks Ben. That seems to have worked. I thought I had done that while out in the field as that's how I discovered the new souvenir, but at my age who knows. The dot is gone for now and hopefully that's the end of it.

Thanks for all your help.

SE7

Hi Ben et al

The yellow dot is back. I did as Ben suggested and viewed my profile/souvenirs and the yellow dot disappeared. I believe I also did that while in the field earlier today and the dot goes away, but only for a while. Then, voila, its back. Just checked my phone now and the dot is back. I check my profile then view souvenirs and it disappears. Just like a bad penny, it comes back.I have closed the app, restarted the phone etc, but it keeps coming back. I just now cleared the cache on the GC app. Not sure I want to clear data as I'm not sure what that would do. Any suggestions?

SE7

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, Soaring Eagle 7 said:

Hi Ben et al

The yellow dot is back. I did as Ben suggested and viewed my profile/souvenirs and the yellow dot disappeared. I believe I also did that while in the field earlier today and the dot goes away, but only for a while. Then, voila, its back. Just checked my phone now and the dot is back. I check my profile then view souvenirs and it disappears. Just like a bad penny, it comes back.I have closed the app, restarted the phone etc, but it keeps coming back. I just now cleared the cache on the GC app. Not sure I want to clear data as I'm not sure what that would do. Any suggestions?

SE7

Given what you've described above, I suspect there may be a bug on our end. We'll investigate. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Ben H said:

Given what you've described above, I suspect there may be a bug on our end. We'll investigate. 

Thanks. I'll stand down till I hear back from U.

Thanks

PS Just did it again. Dot was back, check souvenirs, dot gone. This was afte I had cleared the cache on app.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm getting the same. The yellow dot seems to be telling me that I've got a new souvenir, and clears when I view them. Next time I use the app, the dot returns.

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Soaring Eagle 7 said:

Thanks. I'll stand down till I hear back from U.

Thanks

PS Just did it again. Dot was back, check souvenirs, dot gone. This was afte I had cleared the cache on app.

 

2 hours ago, Optimist on the run said:

I'm getting the same. The yellow dot seems to be telling me that I've got a new souvenir, and clears when I view them. Next time I use the app, the dot returns.

 

We released an API change earlier this morning that we think should resolve the re-appearing yellow dot for souvenirs. Can you two give it a try again and let me know if it's resolved? You'll likely still see the yellow dot the next time you open the app, but after you've viewed souvenirs and cleared the dot it shouldn't appear again. 

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Ben H said:

 

 

We released an API change earlier this morning that we think should resolve the re-appearing yellow dot for souvenirs. Can you two give it a try again and let me know if it's resolved? You'll likely still see the yellow dot the next time you open the app, but after you've viewed souvenirs and cleared the dot it shouldn't appear again. 

Ben

I cleared yellow dot from app by viewing souvenirs. So far, a few minutes, no dot reappearing. I'll check it again tomorrow morning and let you know if gone for good. May get a chance to double check it this weekend as we are in a new to us state and will be getting another new souvenir.

I'll let you know.

SE7

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Soaring Eagle 7 said:

Ben

I cleared yellow dot from app by viewing souvenirs. So far, a few minutes, no dot reappearing. I'll check it again tomorrow morning and let you know if gone for good. May get a chance to double check it this weekend as we are in a new to us state and will be getting another new souvenir.

I'll let you know.

SE7

Ben

App appears to be working properly now. The dreaded yellow dot is nowhere to be found this morning. We will be out this weekend and should earn a new souvenir. I'll let you know only if a problem

Thanks for fixing this.

SE7

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2

×