Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
deCloetjes

GEOTour attribute disappears as cache is archived

4 posts in this topic

Ref. http://coord.info/GC6VV4V

Recently the city council of Knokke Heist (Belgium) decided to stop their participation in the (only) Geotour located in Belgium. Reasons behind this decision are unknown to me but I don't believe this is relevant to my question. The fact remains that on their request all caches have now been disabled and will be archived shortly. So far nothing out of the ordinary.

What surprised me is that because of the city council pulling out of this Geotour, the "Geotour"-attribute has now also been removed from all of the caches making up the tour.

Is this the normal procedure, i.e. that the attribute gets pulled when a Geotour is archived? Or did something else happen here?

I would like to understand the process because it seems strange to me that attributes - once granted to a listing - can suddenly disappear.

Regards,

Peter

The attribute was not removed because of the cache archiving. The GeoTour just didn't exist anymore. That way the attribute removal seems to be expected.

Hans

It is our standard operating procedure to remove the GeoTour attribute from all the related geocaches once the GeoTour has run its course.

Apologies that this has adversely affected your attribute grid.

We've had exactly the same issue here in Australia!

I worked hard over 3 days and some hundreds of kilometers to do the 20 caches for a geotour here in Australia in order to obtain every possible attribute available in Australia.

That left me with only 2 more to get, neither of which are available here.

I am flabbergasted that the geotour attribute 'just disappears' once the geotour is no longer!

Hell, if my 'found count' worked the same way when a cache was archived, I'd lost a huge percentage of my finds and I'd stop playing!

Those of us who earned the attribute for the geo tour would like it back as this attribute wasn't something that comes up every day and it was hard earned!

With all the changes behind the scenes on the webpage and app surely there are enough brains available at HQ to make a work around to allow those people who provide money to GS by going and doing the very expensive and location centric geotours to keep the attribute!