Mt ST. Helens climb date set...seeking climbing partner

evergreenhiker!

It's a different permit...specifically for climbing the volcano. 15 bucks. I will probably try to swing by Cougar on way home from White Salmon this next week.

Your Northwest forest pass is good for entering the national monument in general though. No need to buy the pass for that as that little stub you have attached to the main pass is honored.

I see that EGH! has already answered. Fwiw, I have my NWF pass and for future reference...

At their web page they have a link to gain some local locations you can purchase them at. You might also want to check your local sport shop(s) including places like WalMart or ranger station for permits. They're fairly proliferant and easy to gain. You can also order on-line or over the phone in time to get it for the hike.

You can buy an annual Northwest Forest Pass for $30 or a daily pass for $5. If you do any kind of trailhead hiking, the annual is well worth the price.

Also, let me go ahead and swing the $15. If my job situation changes, I may not be able to make it and I would hate for you to have spent money when you didn't need to. I just had my first phone interview yesterday since January.

EGH, if you want to send me where to apply for the hiking permit, I'll get on that. If I can't make it, at least there'll be another one up for grabs if anybody else wants to do this.

Btw... this will be a No Pets hike being the mountain is a National Park, a lesson learned when I went to the Visitor's Center with mine a couple years back.

Cheers!

TL

Let me get this straight...you want to apply for a climbing permit so that maybe the three of us can go?

Here's the website for registering the climb date:

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/mshnvm/

They'll have the online form you can print and mail. The mailing address is on it.

Otherwise, I can give you my mailing address and you can send me the check. Whatever works. You have to go dwon to Cougar to pick up the passes and I'm going to be in White Salmon early next week for my grandparents birthdays so it's more or less on the way home for me.

I just noticed Criminal's post so my last question is moot. I've already applied for 2 spots so TL I can give you my mailing address for the check. I was going ot the meeting tonight, but right now it doesn't look like I'll make it.

I had tried to get a weekend date, but they were all filled into October and I want to do this in Sept for Find 1000.

quote:
Originally posted by evergreenhiker!:

I just noticed Criminal's post so my last question is moot. I've already applied for 2 spots so TL I can give you my mailing address for the check. I was going ot the meeting tonight, but right now it doesn't look like I'll make it.

I had tried to get a weekend date, but they were all filled into October and I want to do this in Sept for Find 1000.

Sorry to hear that Criminal!

EGH!, it sounds like a plan then. I'll send you the check as soon as I receive your address.

Cheers!

TL

quote:
Originally posted by pdxmarathonman:

EraSeek has a "virtual" option that he'll allow a find if you answer a specific question in cases when the cache is missing (which is how I got my 400th).

That's cool, but my 1000th has to be on a box cache, not a virt so Mike Teague's Mountain Marsh may be the big find if the box is really missing up there.

I would be going via the Monitor Ridge route to EraSeek's Above the Clouds cache and possibly the highest part of the volcano if we feel up to it.

=================================================

=================================================

Just so you know, if I remember correct, the cache is a little past half-way, so if you're planning on going to the top, you still got a good climb ahead of you!

Good luck to all.

BTW: If you don't get the climbing passes by mail or however you were going about it, there's a lottery for the remainding tickets at 5:30pm (I believe) at Jack's Restaurant (just west of Cougar). This is the store you need to register at anyway, so you should know where it is. They give out a total of 100 tickets a day....50 of them CAN be reserved, the rest are held for the lottery.

=======

Not sure if you knew that info, but I thought I'd throw it out there for all.

buneatg.gifI am the Rabbit King, I can do anything

Thanks guys. I see you beat me to posting it. I also did these others:

Mike Teague's fantastic Mountain Marsh:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=8

Bucket of Apes:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=36700

Lava Canyon...great short hiking area!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=71397

Cave Cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=33729

quote:
Originally posted by EraSeek:

That suspension bridge looks very cool! I'll have to check that out sometime.

How was the weather and temp/winds up there? Doesn't look too bad.

I'm assumign you are talking about the MOuntain. It was dry...just some clouds. It was a bit windy, but nothing like the 50 mph winds I was warned about. Just your normal breeze. It really wasn't that cold up there...60s maybe. I wore a t-shirt and my good REI windbreaker vest. I did wear longjohns udner shorts and gaitors over boots to keep the stuff from getting inside. Very pleasant up there. Probably snowed there today though...I heard Stevens pass had snow and that's at 4000 feet. Perfect hiking temp for me.