Gadget cache ideas

This is sort of off-topic, because It's not about an actual gadget cache ;) .

Last Friday, at a local caching event, some friends and I started to talk about unusual special equipment needed to find some geocaches. We speculated what kind of "special" (but not hopelessly unaffordable) equipment we have not yet seen as required for a cache. Soon, a Geiger counter was mentioned. We then had a good laugh imagining a gadget cache design like this: At the posted coordinates, you find a box, with a small Geiger counter + instructions. The task is to find a very small radioactive item within, say, 30 meter radius (in the woods, so essentially unfindable by chance), which holds the logbook (or coordinates of the location of the logbook). To make it clear, this is not a serious cache proposal, but it was super funny to fool around with the idea.

But the really hilarious punch-line here is that less than 24 hours later, I first read about the incident in Australia where they really had to find a nano-sized radioactive item with radiation counters :D! You can easily google it, but for reference, here is one news link: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-64481317

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
4 hours ago, baer2006 said:

... Soon, a Geiger counter was mentioned. We then had a good laugh imagining a gadget cache design like this: At the posted coordinates, you find a box, with a small Geiger counter + instructions. The task is to find a very small radioactive item within, say, 30 meter radius (in the woods, so essentially unfindable by chance), which holds the logbook (or coordinates of the location of the logbook).

We've seen dosimeters as low as twenty-five bucks, and though handgun night sights might work best,  lensatic compasses and even some watches should have enough tritium in them to function.   And you won't glow in the dark.  :)

https://www.facebook.com/QuirkyCaches/videos this CO put out getting on for 100 caches like this, heyday being about 2014. I bought one and it's still going strong - inside a wooden box on an axle are 4 wooden wheels, almost touching so you can only see their edge, with 1 2 3 4 5 6 painted on. On the side of the box is a small hole. On a chain is a long metal rod. Poke it through the hole and spin the numbers until the rod engages with a hole in each wheel, thus revealing along the top of the wheels the combination for the padlock on the bottom of the box giving access to the log paper container.

On 5/18/2017 at 4:31 PM, cliptwings said:

I love building gadget caches. My inspiration is WVTim. Google "gadget caches" and you'll find a bunch of his. Also, I have a YouTube page with several of mine. Here is the link: My Gadget Caches

@cliptwings You probably know this already, but: you linked to "my videos", which is a generic link for any Youtube creator. It doesn't link to your content.