Battery charger

frozenflyboy

I have a little earlier version of this charger and it's great. I use mine with Eneloop 2500 batteries. The 'refresh' cycle works quite well. About twice a year, I'll notice that the charged level on my batteries starts dropping a little, I'll run the refresh and charge option and they are back to 2400+.

Err... What charger?

That was my first thought too, because the sub-title doesn't show up on the mobile version of the Groundspeak forums. For anyone else who can't see it, the model of charger the OP is talking about is the BT-C3400.

As for these chargers, you need to pay attention to which version you're buying. I bought a BT-C3100 v2.2, which I understand is exactly the same as a BT-C3400 v3.1, just with a different model number. However, if you got a BT-C3100 v2.1, you're getting a slightly older version that has some known issues. Watch for that. The Ebay listing you linked to specifically says it's v3.1, so that should be safe.

I've been happy with my BT-C3100 v2.2. I bought some brand new Eneloop Pros at the same time and have only charged them in this charger to give them the best chance at a long life, and they've worked well in my Oregon 600. I also tried refreshing some older Duracell rechargeables in the BT-C3100, and they seem to hold more charge than they did before when they were charged using a dumb charger. I use these in my older trusty Oregon 450 for OpenStreetMap data collection. The features I like most about the charger are the refresh function and the ability to control at what rate (current) you charge the batteries. I read lots of reviews before going ahead, and it seems like lots of battery aficionados (who would have thought there was such a thing!) liked it, so that was good enough for me.

I was in the market for a good charger some 6 or 7 years ago and found that the La Crosse brand had some good reviews. I opted for the BC700 model and have been very happy with it. It's charged every brand of battery i've thrown at it. Noticed it was listed on the same page the OP linked to and see that it looks similar to the BT-C3400 model. Can't give any advice on the BT since i've never owned it but i can recommend the La Crosse.

Err... What charger?

That was my first thought too, because the sub-title doesn't show up on the mobile version of the Groundspeak forums. For anyone else who can't see it, the model of charger the OP is talking about is the BT-C3400.

As for these chargers, you need to pay attention to which version you're buying. I bought a BT-C3100 v2.2, which I understand is exactly the same as a BT-C3400 v3.1, just with a different model number. However, if you got a BT-C3100 v2.1, you're getting a slightly older version that has some known issues. Watch for that. The Ebay listing you linked to specifically says it's v3.1, so that should be safe.

I've been happy with my BT-C3100 v2.2. I bought some brand new Eneloop Pros at the same time and have only charged them in this charger to give them the best chance at a long life, and they've worked well in my Oregon 600. I also tried refreshing some older Duracell rechargeables in the BT-C3100, and they seem to hold more charge than they did before when they were charged using a dumb charger. I use these in my older trusty Oregon 450 for OpenStreetMap data collection. The features I like most about the charger are the refresh function and the ability to control at what rate (current) you charge the batteries. I read lots of reviews before going ahead, and it seems like lots of battery aficionados (who would have thought there was such a thing!) liked it, so that was good enough for me.

Thanks for the explanation on the mobile version of the forum. I'll try to remember that.

I take it that Eneloop Pros are a good bet also? Seems to be batteries in a lot of things around the house.

I take it that Eneloop Pros are a good bet also? Seems to be batteries in a lot of things around the house.

I went with the Pros over the regular Eneloops due to their higher capacity, which means they last longer in my GPSr before I have to change them. I'm planning on getting some regular Eneloops for use around the house (remote controls, wall clocks, etc.), because their capacity won't matter as much in those use cases and they'll be cheaper. The Pros do have a lower stated number of charging cycles over the course of their lifetime, but I expect they'll still last a suitably-long time. I plan on taking care of them by only charging them in a smart charger like the BT-C3100 to avoid overcharging and damaging them, which is a possibility in a "dumb" charger.

Thanks for the info ya'all.. been looking to buy rechargeables for years and never have because I never got around to the research. Just bought 16 of the Pros and the charger mentioned here.

It seems a Merry Christmas to you is in order! :D

I will say that the Eneloops have usually been great batteries. However, the last 4 that i bought about 2 years ago didn't seem to have the ooomph that i was accustomed to. They weren't the Pros so i can't comment on that. What i have found is that the Energizer precharged NIMHs, i buy from the Wally World store, have been consistently good batteries. My Canon camera and the old Garmin (the gpsr on pretty much the whole time) run all day with them. I have some of these batteries dated back a good 5 years that still hold a good charge. I attribute this to always charging them with BC700.

Thanks for the info ya'all.. been looking to buy rechargeables for years and never have because I never got around to the research. Just bought 16 of the Pros and the charger mentioned here.

It seems a Merry Christmas to you is in order! :D

I will say that the Eneloops have usually been great batteries. However, the last 4 that i bought about 2 years ago didn't seem to have the ooomph that i was accustomed to. They weren't the Pros so i can't comment on that. What i have found is that the Energizer precharged NIMHs, i buy from the Wally World store, have been consistently good batteries. My Canon camera and the old Garmin (the gpsr on pretty much the whole time) run all day with them. I have some of these batteries dated back a good 5 years that still hold a good charge. I attribute this to always charging them with BC700.

ANYTHING will be an improvement over the garbage flat Garmin chargeable battery for my Montana 680. I have three of them and I can't get more than four hours out of any of the three.