Premium membership

rosemary bob

Hello all, need some clarification form the hive mind, I purchased the $10 premium membership app about 4 years ago for my iPhone. I recently upgraded to a newer version iPhone, had all my apps etc successfully transferred to my new phone, but when I went to log into my account, I was informed "oops there is a problem, I could not reach the server, try again". Tried a few more times, thinking that I had forgotten my password or something, so I downloaded the free app, and had no problem logging on. So scrolled around a bit, and found out that a premium membership is now $8.50 a month or $40 a year. Is it safe to assume that my former, and I assumed lifetime premium membership is now null and void? Just need verification before I delete my "premium app" icon. Thanks.

The $10 was for the app, not premium membership. You are not a premium member.

Premium membership is still $30 a year or $10 for three months.

On the bright side, the new geocaching app (which replaced the old $10 app) is now free.

Edited by hzoi

Hello all, need some clarification form the hive mind, I purchased the $10 premium membership app about 4 years ago for my iPhone. I recently upgraded to a newer version iPhone, had all my apps etc successfully transferred to my new phone, but when I went to log into my account, I was informed "oops there is a problem, I could not reach the server, try again". Tried a few more times, thinking that I had forgotten my password or something, so I downloaded the free app, and had no problem logging on. So scrolled around a bit, and found out that a premium membership is now $8.50 a month or $40 a year. Is it safe to assume that my former, and I assumed lifetime premium membership is now null and void? Just need verification before I delete my "premium app" icon. Thanks.

You never bought a "lifetime premium membership". There is no such thing.

You're confusing an app with the Premium Membership subscription.

The PM is $30/yr US. Add whatever the current exchange rate is for CDN $.

As I understand things, the paid app is no longer supported and the free GS app is the only one available.

Help Center - Apps

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=12

Premium Membership

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=5

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Regardless of premium membership, other threads report that the old app should continue to work until at least next March barring any problems with the operating system. I do not use either Groundspeak app, but out of curiosity I restored the paid app from the Apple Store (purchased apps) and logged into it without an issue on my iPhone (running iOS 10). Other posts in the iPhone forum indicate that the app is still working.

There is apparently a known problem with the Facebook login, so if you were using that, try the Groundspeak option. If it still does not work, you could try reinstalling it.

Edited by geodarts

My point early really was that with the old app, while not being a premium member it still gave me access to all geocaches, not just some of them. Would have liked to see those with the older app be "grandfathered". Feeling right now that it's about the cash, not the cache.

Not quite all (you couldn't access pmo caches), but I believe many who had the "paid" app did/do feel the same.

But didn't you ever have an app end support/quit?

Granted, this is the only app we ever paid ten bucks for, but we've had a few dozen (especially with Windows phone) go bye-bye, so curious why some feel they're somehow being wronged with this one app.

On the bright side, the new geocaching app (which replaced the old $10 app) is now free.

But only works properly if you are a premium member?

If by "works properly" you mean it shows beginner caches to free users and shows all caches to those who pay to support the app and the site...then I'd say it works just fine.

My point early really was that with the old app, while not being a premium member it still gave me access to all geocaches, not just some of them. Would have liked to see those with the older app be "grandfathered". Feeling right now that it's about the cash, not the cache.

If you still have it installed, you can still use the old app for now. So for the time being, you're still grandfathered in. If you're having problems logging in to the old app, try exiting completely and then restarting your phone. My old $10 app was behaving oddly around the beginning of September but is now giving me access to caches again.

But yes, this is a commercial website, and it isn't free to run. Nor was the no-cost app you downloaded free to develop. So on some level, it will always be about the cash.

If you can think of another worldwide hobby that gives one nearly 3 million places to explore and costs $30 or less a year to get full access, by all means, save your money and go play that one. Otherwise, you're welcome to accept the things you cannot change and either pay the fee or enjoy what you get for free.

Edited by hzoi

I fired up my 4s and the app still works on it, doesn't work on my se. Is what it is. I did a bunch of recon on a few caches on my 4s that I can't access on my se, will just go in for the find, and log them through the old phone. Then I can cache on happily. Thanks for all the info and knowledge.

i don't know how the app store works on ios devices, but i'm assuming it's possible to sideload, or install applications without using the official apple market ? maybe you could copy the app from one iphone to another ? i do this frequently for android devices, when someone asks about "hey what mapping app is that?" and push them the freebie over bluetooth.

I fired up my 4s and the app still works on it, doesn't work on my se. Is what it is. I did a bunch of recon on a few caches on my 4s that I can't access on my se, will just go in for the find, and log them through the old phone. Then I can cache on happily. Thanks for all the info and knowledge.

You can also view and log them through the website, FYI. :)